Author Topic: Pronghorn horns  (Read 4286 times)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Pronghorn horns
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:34:03 PM »
Does anybody have any experience using the horns of a Pronghorn for any type of projects?  Last falls head has been seasoning alongside the house since October and the horns are starting to loosen up a bit.  Wonder how much hollow there is to them?  Any info on this type of horn would sure be useful and appreciated!
Mike Lee

omark

Re: Pronghorn horns
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:42:23 PM »
i havent done any work with them, but have seen a couple beautifulpowder horns and a knife handle made with one, so it is worth looking into.

Black Hand

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »
I made a small primer horn and a salt horn from a small set I had.  Funny stuff to work with, more "hairy" than other horns, but do clean up nicely.  The hollow will depend on the size of the animal, but appears to be smaller in proportion to the solid tips than cow.

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »
Does anybody have any experience using the horns of a Pronghorn for any type of projects?  Last falls head has been seasoning alongside the house since October and the horns are starting to loosen up a bit.  Wonder how much hollow there is to them?  Any info on this type of horn would sure be useful and appreciated!

Horns on antelope will sometimes pull off when fresh. They shed them every fall anyway.
They have a pretty big bone core in them. Even the small bucks usually have a big enough cavity for priming horns ect.
I have a priming horn that is about 30 years old that I really like. Seen a lot of use.
Used to have a pronghorn horn as a container for Beaver bait but not sure where it is now.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 03:54:39 AM »

Used to have a pronghorn horn as a container for Beaver bait but not sure where it is now.

Dan

You probably put your salt in it by mistake?

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 06:37:13 PM »

Dan

You probably put your salt in it by mistake?

Possible I suppose but the mineral oil would spoil the salt.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »
Thanks all.  Should be able to pull a horn off in the next few weeks.  Will report back on any projects undertaken
Mike Lee