Author Topic: Two Squirrels this Morning  (Read 7385 times)

cahil_2

Two Squirrels this Morning
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:55:39 PM »
Took my Dennis Priddy .25 out this morning and connected on two gray squirrels.  It was very cold and snowing up here in west Michigan.  Used a .250 ball with 30 grains of swiss and a .020 patch.  I lubed with  Shenandoah Valley.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:32:21 PM by cahil_2 »

HardBall

Re: Two Squirrels this Morning
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »
Nice looking rifle!

A .250" round ball pushed by 30gr of Swiss?  I assume it's 3f Swiss?  That ball must be really moving out the muzzle!

cahil_2

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »
Yes it was 3f.  My brother has a 25 also and we chronographed his with the same load at about 2250 fps.

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »
 I myself cannot fathom how ya'll guy's load such a small pill!! :o  and that cold weather  ya'll have up there?. Braver man than me. Good shooting though on those grey squirrels, ought to be some good eating tomorrow morning, Squirrel and gravy with a few bisquits to sop up the gravy!!!.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »
Very nice looking rifle!  Those greys are a lot bigger than the ones we see around here!

~Tony

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »
The rifle and squirrels?  Now that's something to be proud of.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:46:04 AM »
I like the whole rig ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 03:42:43 AM »
Pretty nice :)

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 06:10:42 AM »
Nice rifle ...nice bag ...nice squirrels ...nice time ...nice eating!
Expecting a little snow here tomorrow. Not so nice!!
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 07:46:24 AM »
I refer to my .25 as the muzzleloading equivalent of a .22 short magnum because of the ball's weight and the velocities that can be achieved. It's not a caliber for the faint of heart. The report and the recoil are, shall we say, attention getting.

BTW, your photos got censored!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

hlary

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »
Censored hunting photos!?! Are you girls serious?! This will probably be the last time I read/post on this forum.  Merry Christmas.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »
I refer to my .25 as the muzzleloading equivalent of a .22 short magnum because of the ball's weight and the velocities that can be achieved. It's not a caliber for the faint of heart. The report and the recoil are, shall we say, attention getting.

Did Photo Bucket censor them?  Just curious.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
Why do you say this? I just now read the post and the photo of the 2 squirrels are showing were there more?
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 09:31:35 PM »
Censored hunting photos!?! Are you girls serious?! This will probably be the last time I read/post on this forum.  Merry Christmas.

Hlary,
Do as you wish but I think I would look into what is going on before jumping to conclusions.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

HardBall

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »

Hlary,
Do as you wish but I think I would look into what is going on before jumping to conclusions.
Dennis

Agreed...

I don't see how the photo is "censored", or in what way.  If you go to the original on photobucket and zoom in you can see a little blood and the squirrels head.  It's hard to see the squirrels head in the photo above but it's still there.  Is this where the "censored" confusion is?  With the squirrels head?

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 11:42:14 PM »

Hlary,
Dennis

Agreed...

I don't see how the photo is "censored", or in what way.  If you go to the original on photobucket and zoom in you can see a little blood and the squirrels head.  It's hard to see the squirrels head in the photo above but it's still there.  Is this where the "censored" confusion is?  With the squirrels head?

I agree, I don't see where the photo was censored.  There might be some "squirrel barking" up the wrong tree...  Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Kermit

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 11:59:38 PM »
Looks like it was a temporary digital snafu--the pic comes across now. Things just get lost sometimes.

BTW, a .25 really benefits from a bullet board, a short starter, and a brass ramrod. Components are kind of tiny.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:02:00 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

cahil_2

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 01:15:24 AM »
I was messing with the pic and somehow lost it.  It was not censored.