Author Topic: The ebay E. Tenn Rifle! Continued!  (Read 13659 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Re: The ebay E. Tenn Rifle! Continued!
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2021, 04:13:28 PM »
I’m pleased you were able to repost the original thread on this rifle. It is my all time favorite ALR story! I agree with your assessment that it has a “Whitson” look to it.
Thanks
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2021, 04:39:04 PM »
Nice job John!  You saved it from the trash bin or being parted out. It's a very pleasing rifle that is destined for a long life  in collections .
JIM

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »
The old girl looks super.  Did you ever clear the obstruction from the barrel? and what was in it?  Shopdog is on the ALR forum and he's the fellow that you bought the triggers and trigger guard from.  It has Whitson lines to me.  James Levy
Well, after a bit of digging at it, it was just a greased up old piece of rag, packed in there hard as a rock.
I'll have to look up Shopdog and see if he's still around! Maybe he'll want to buy the whole thing back!!  ;D ;D ;D
John Robbins

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2021, 01:42:00 AM »
The old girl looks super.  Did you ever clear the obstruction from the barrel? and what was in it?  Shopdog is on the ALR forum and he's the fellow that you bought the triggers and trigger guard from.  It has Whitson lines to me.  James Levy
Well, after a bit of digging at it, it was just a greased up old piece of rag, packed in there hard as a rock.
I'll have to look up Shopdog and see if he's still around! Maybe he'll want to buy the whole thing back!!  ;D ;D ;D
What? Now that you’ve done all the hard work! Seriously I’m glad to see it all together and in good hands.  At the time I saw it and bid on the parts I wasn’t connected to this forum and had no idea there were other more interested parties.  Luckily Jamie Levy knew the full story and who you were so I was happy to part with the triggers and trigger guard.  Ironically I just finished up a Kibler SMR and did my best to copy the original Whitson rifle Jim used as a template.  Jamie Levy by the way is the friend who started me down the dark and treacherous path of muzzleloader building and I am ever grateful (and cash poor)   ;)
Joe
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2021, 01:42:37 AM »
Thank you all for helping me bring this cool rifle back together again! I well remember the ebay bidding,,, and my choice words every time my bid got upped  :-\ and what to do about it. And I can imagine Shopdog feeling the same when I won a part! 
Thanks to Sequatchie Rifle for bringing Joe and I together! All's well that ends well, and in the end, it's all back together and will hopefully spend many long years being enjoyed!
I might well print out a copy of this long thread and roll it up and slip it down the barrel, for some future owner to discover and enjoy.  ;D
John
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:53:41 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2021, 12:57:29 AM »
Great to see her back together bro. I well remember the challenge of getting the parts all back together. What a trip. I like the lines of this ol smokepole too. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2021, 11:47:06 PM »
John,

Looks like you did the impossible by locating and re-uniting all those parts and then turning the junk pile back into what it was like when it was being used in the 19th century. Because of your skill and very good obsession, another piece of history has been saved. I applaud your avoiding any attempts to reconvert it to flint.

I feel the same way about my J Morrison superposed charge side hammer single barrel Kentucky double rifle you brought back to life several years ago. It has a proud spot on my den wall.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2021, 01:32:39 AM »
Thanks Bill! I think the pile of parts are back together well enough so it should be around for many long years to come,,, or so I hope!
Once I saw the WR initials on the drum I knew it was going to remain as a percussion, at least as long as I have it.

And I really enjoyed working on your Morrison. Thats a fine rifle, and brave, with those superposed charges!

John
John Robbins

Offline AZshot

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2022, 04:35:50 AM »
Good to hear the stories, as well as seeing the rifles.  Thanks.