Author Topic: Profiling upper forend, Fusil de Chasse  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Profiling upper forend, Fusil de Chasse
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:46:21 AM »
My 1st post here as a builder, albeit my 1st build ...

Due to recent knee surgery, I am just getting back to my left-handed Fusil de Chasse build, which started out as a basic kit from Sitting Fox that I bought for only $300 when the previous owner decided it was well above their capabilities. I figured it would be an inexpen$ive way for me to learn (earn?) some invaluable build lessons.

In its previous life it was a maple stock, 42" barrel and right-handed lock, but I sent the lock, stock and barrel back to Ray @ S-Fox and he sent back (for equal exchange) a 44-1/2" barrel (breeched) and a longer walnut stock inletted for the barrel and ramrod groove.

I bought a left-handed Caywood Trade round-faced lock, by Mike Rowe, and hand-filed it flat to mimic a flat-faced lock as per the 1721 contract to Tulle (per R. Bouchard). I went with the Caywood lock as it is almost 6" long and was the only suitable long lefty lock to modify to be 'French', plus I also faceted the pan.

Anyway - to my question. I am profiling the upper forend and forestock (less the muzzle for now ...). Right now I have about 1/2 the barrel showing and between 1/2 and 1/3rd of the ramrod showing. I am doing my very best to make this FdC as trim as trim can be.

Should I take more off the ramrod groove sides to show ~1/3rd of the ramrod to give the illusion of an even more trim musket? How much can I pull down the top edge of the barrel inlet to show more barrel?

I greatly appreciate ALL input ... as my skin is thickened, haha!

Thank you!
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Profiling upper forend, Fusil de Chasse
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »
So it looks like your stock may have a thick web between the barrel channel and the RR channel.   So... the ramrod exposure looks about right to me so I would  do two things.  First bring the top of the fore stock down another1/16 inch on the side of the barrel. Secondly I would round the side of the fore stock from top to bottom a little more. The lower fore stock looks flat and too deep. Get as much off the bottom as you can and round the sides The way you handle the muzzle end fore stock shape will make a difference in the image as well..  Look at Mike Brooks gun here  http://www.fowlingguns.com/images/French_Fusil_De_Trait204.jpg
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Re: Profiling upper forend, Fusil de Chasse
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »
So it looks like your stock may have a thick web between the barrel channel and the RR channel.

It probably does Tim, again it is/was a cheap kit I'm trying my darndest to make something out of. Since its purchase I have bought the Snynder ramrod groove plane, but I fear it may be too late to deepen it (thinking it might affect the RR pipes).

The wood is just under 1/8" thick at the muzzle and approaching 3/16" as one gets to the entry.

... bring the top of the fore stock down another 1/16 inch on the side of the barrel ... round the side of the fore stock from top to bottom a little more.

I will do that. Thank you so much for your insight and experience, greatly appreciated. Loooooongtime lurker here and perhaps someday I can contribute.

It is people like yourself that make those of us who are both new and inexperienced in this pursuit feel most welcome to post here. I can't say that for every forum, even muzzleloading ones.

For that I thank you and all!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:57:04 PM by Flint62Smoothie »
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !