Author Topic: Sighting Groove Yes or no!  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Sighting Groove Yes or no!
« on: January 22, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »
Don't believe this question has been 'touched upon" so here goes!

NMLRA rule on smoothbores (trade guns) is 'no rear sight above the plane of the barrel!!

What do you think of a groove filed (neatly now) across the rear of the top barrel flat onto the barrel tang in line wth the tang screw slot as a sighting 'aide' ??? The length of said groove would depend on the angle/slope of the tang.  To use one as a general aide for windage may work.

Anybody use it and what thoughts can you add about it being usefull for it's intended purpose?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Sighting Groove Yes or no!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »
Roger, I usually put a rear sight in, but I did file a groove in one, similar to what you describe. Trouble is, with my eyes, I cant see it. My son, with vision like I use to have, thinks its great, especially for wing shooting, haven't tried it with a round ball yet.
      Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »
Yes, put such a groove on every smoothie I've built! Oh...and a little....shhhhh....whiteout, in the groove helps. ;)
Tom C.

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Roger,
You are talking about a decorative groove, aren't you? ;)  You're just trying to dress the old girl up, right?  Thought so.

northmn

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:04:02 PM »
Some folks have even been known to tighten their tang screws so that the groove just happens to line up with the fron sight.  Of course the tang screw is not countersunk such that it fits below the line of sight. Grooves are also used.

DP

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
Some folks have even been known to tighten their tang screws so that the groove just happens to line up with the fron sight.  Of course the tang screw is not countersunk such that it fits below the line of sight. Grooves are also used.

DP
Well. I would admit it lines up with the bore ;D ::)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 05:11:10 AM »
I believe the rule invites the use of a filed in groove for a rear sight.

The rule doesn't say "No rear sight."  As worded, it only prohibits a rear sight that extends above the plane of the barrel.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »
The use of the tang screw's slot for alignment of the front sight to centre of the bore is common among the smoothbore shooters here. Too, the groove does work - Taylor's 1728 Bess is so grooved.  As well, a 24 lines per inch checkering file will 'dull' the surface giving a better sight picture.  With my glasses, I can't see either the tang screw nor a filed groove, but aligning the sight in the centre of the bore has never been a problem. Perhaps the shotgun shooting I've done taught proper centering of the bead/front sight
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:16:05 PM by Daryl »