Author Topic: Rendering bear fat for lube  (Read 5400 times)

Offline blackbruin

Rendering bear fat for lube
« on: November 29, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
I am just double checking or if there's a better way to do it. I have always trimmed the fat of any meat or non fat items. Than put it cubed in a double boiler to melt it, skimmed any junk off top than strained it through a coffee filter or paint filter after its cooled but still liquid into a mason jar. I keep it from burning, and have reheated and strained it twice.  Any advice or new methods appreciated! Oh our camp harvested 3 bears here in pa so I have quite a rendering session(s) ahead! Thanks

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Rendering bear fat for lube
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 10:16:23 PM »
 I'm not sure if bear fat can be rendered the same way as venison tallow, but I just boil the chunks of fat, and scraps, in a big kettle , refrigerate until the grease solidifies on top of the water, and then skim it off. I then gently heat the tallow until the execs water evaporates. After chilling in the refrigerator you wind up with a nice solid cake of snow white tallow.

Hungry Horse

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 02:20:57 AM »
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

necchi

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:29:38 AM »
Yeah I was going to supply Swampy's link too,
He's been swearing by the crock pot the last few years and going real slow, as you can see in the link,, he's after that liquid gold!
The Oil.

VALongrifle

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 08:28:09 PM »
Anyone know where one might get rendered bear fat for those of us bear-lessly challenged?

Pat

Tink

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:27:27 AM »
Raccoon works identical to bear .

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:07:28 AM »
I'm not sure if bear fat can be rendered the same way as venison tallow, but I just boil the chunks of fat, and scraps, in a big kettle , refrigerate until the grease solidifies on top of the water, and then skim it off. I then gently heat the tallow until the execs water evaporates. After chilling in the refrigerator you wind up with a nice solid cake of snow white tallow.

Hungry Horse

This works for beef, deer ect. Directions can be found on soap making sites. DON'T ADD SALT. We are not making soap.
I boil it 3 times in clean water staining if needed when hot. Boil for a time till you think you have most of the fat melted, let cool, chill, pull off the solid tallow from the water and put in clean water and boil again, repeat. I do this to make SURE there is nothing in there that might cause corrosion. Chill, remove, let air dry on some folded paper towels a couple of days then double boiler and pour in a canning jar.  I would NOT use direct heat. I know it will really screw up beeswax and don't want to go to all that work with tallow and then make it less useful by overheating.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline whitebear

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:08:03 AM »
Can hog fat be prepared the same way?  For us old Georgia boys the hog lard would be more traditional.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline halfstock

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »
Yes it can whitebear but again "NO" salt.

David G

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 01:22:37 AM »
blackbruin, I've used the crock pot method, worked fine per Swampy's instruction. I think the key was using a crock pot that had a "warm" setting. If I remember right it was 24 hrs before I got enough oil to start ladeling off of the fat. The oil I ran through a coffee filter over a pitcher. Swampy advised to be sure to use clean fat and if you wanted to take the time to cut it into small pieces it should go a little  faster for you. This method is not difficult but is a little time comsuming, best plan to set aside a couple to three days depending on how much you have. I currently have about 12 pds or so of bear fat that I will get to shortly. David G.

Penokemtnman

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 06:13:06 AM »
A couple years back I picked up a large  box full of bear fat from a taxidermy shop off a 492# boar.  I used a large Nesco, works great you can adjust the temp. ladle out the oil as you can. It took me three weekends to finish it all, but I made over four gallons.  I still have not made that cherry pie , I better get at that.    Penokemtnman