Author Topic: Belt for my hunting frock  (Read 5850 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Belt for my hunting frock
« on: December 10, 2013, 02:40:56 AM »
Have had several hunting frocks but never had one fit right and sold them. This one is not the color I wanted but it fits me and the color is growing on me. I needed a belt so I purchased a buckle from Najeck Reproductions, had them send it to James Rogers (Eighteenth Century Sporting Reproductions). Both are top notch people to deal with. I am very pleased with both the buckle and the belt James made to go with the buckle. Highly recommend doing business with both!

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Artificer

Re: Belt for my hunting frock
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:49:31 AM »
Dennis,

The color of your Rifleman's shirt is one that could easily have come from plants gathered in Virginia or the Carolina's and used to dye the material.   A lady I knew from Roanoke, VA dyed wool tufts from plants she gathered locally and that was one of the shades of green that resulted. 

The brass "double D" belt buckle is a favorite of mine and what I chose to use on the belt that held my bayonet frog and "Belly Box" cartridge box when I did a Private in the Major's Coy, 42nd Royal Highland Regiment, The Black Watch.  I have also used it on a lot of belts I made over the years. 

The belt is nice work.  Is the loop affixed or does it slide on the belt?  I like the embossing along the edges of the width of the belt and the additional "X" on the loop is neat.  PLEASE don't take this as criticism as I really respect James and he makes REALLY authentic items I admire and he is a gentleman generous with his time and information, but I did not know that such embossing was correct for our time period.  Of course, I did not know the embossed diamond pattern found on at least one original 18th century Virginia Hunting Pouch was correct before I saw pictures of it on this forum, either.  Small details like this really intrigue me and that is the only reason I mention it.
Gus

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »
Dennis,

That's a nice looking hunting frock and belt.  That green should work well in the woods.  I like that knife too.  I guess you won't be needing that other knife anymore.... so, will you sell it back to me now? ;)

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »
Hi Gus,
I believe that buckle is copied from one dug at Ft. Frederick. The keeper is a sliding keeper. The lines in the leather that you refer to as embossing are the product of a creasing iron. That was most definitely a trait of some leatherwork in the 18th century associated with harness/saddlery trades. A quick study of high definition period images from England will reveal this feature even on the straps of some shooting bags.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:40:12 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »
Dennis,

That's a nice looking hunting frock and belt.  That green should work well in the woods.  I like that knife too.  I guess you won't be needing that other knife anymore.... so, will you sell it back to me now? Wink

-Ron
Ron,
I love the rifleman knife in the photo the problem with it is its 10 5/8" blade. It is always in the way when I take it with me hunting. The 7 1/4" blade that the one I bought from you has, is perfect to slip down inside my boot, you hardly know its there. If/when I find one that I like to replace the one I got from you I will let you know ;D

Gus,
I guess the main thing I dislike about the green Hemp frock is it new looking finish. Might see if I can wash it and cause it to fade a tad.

Dennis
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:36:04 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »
Dennis,

I understand....  I couldn't resist.  But yes, please do let me know.  Thanks.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Artificer

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 12:30:33 AM »
Hi Gus,
I believe that buckle is copied from one dug at Ft. Frederick. The keeper is a sliding keeper. The lines in the leather that you refer to as embossing are the product of a creasing iron. That was most definitely a trait of some leatherwork in the 18th century associated with harness/saddlery trades. A quick study of high definition period images from England will reveal this feature even on the straps of some shooting bags.

James,

Thank you for this information and this is a neat thing for me to learn.  I have a creasing iron in my leather tools, I just never realized it was period correct to use it on 18th century items.  Perhaps this is because I have usually studied military leather goods and most originals I've seen don't have crease lines?  Was it more a civilian or high status trait?  Thanks again.
Gus

Offline trentOH

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 06:07:52 AM »
I have a similar hunting frock in almost the same color. Except mine has yellow fringe instead if green. I can't even look at it without thinking of the Green Bay Packers! I just can't wear it at an event.

The belt looks great. And it can probably double as a strop.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 11:36:47 PM »
Dennis where did you get your hunting frock coat from?

cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Kenny

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 12:25:53 AM »
dennis, ive had the same issue with frocks, where did you get this one?
 if its hemp washing and hanging outside in the sun, hot or cold weather will give it a nice mellowed look.
 thanks, Kenny

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 02:55:53 AM »
Dennis where did you get your hunting frock coat from?
cheers

Gordon
Gordon,
I got it from a guy on the CLA site but it has a Fire and Smoke label in it. He had worn it several times in re-enactments but it still looks new.
Dennis

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 02:58:53 AM »
if its hemp washing and hanging outside in the sun, hot or cold weather will give it a nice mellowed look.
 thanks, Kenny
It is hemp and unless you have some warm clothes on under it you can feel the cold seeping in! I will wear it until it starts to show some dirt then I'll wash it and hang it on the wife's clothes line.
Dennis