Author Topic: Dr. Sirkin's collection  (Read 7087 times)

eddillon

Dr. Sirkin's collection
« on: December 14, 2013, 02:27:01 AM »
Looks like not all of Dr. Sirkin's long rifles were sold in the October Julia auction.  There are six of them in the flyer for the March auction.  Got the prices realized list from Julia's earlier this wee.  Some of the sold prices are absolutely mind-blowing.  The six remaining are: Armstrong, Ernst, un named Reading, Edwards, Sell and Schroyer.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Re: Dr. Sirkin's collection
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 02:35:54 AM »
I was told that his collection is so large, that its been scheduled to be sold in three or four different Julia Auctions.

Frank
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:38:31 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 03:28:32 AM »
Wow!  Wish I had a wheelbarrow full of cash.

galamb

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:25:59 AM »
Yes, didn't one of the Armstrong's go for somewhat over 100K in the last auction?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:19:13 PM »
It was interesting to see the Michael Edwards advertised.  I studied this rifle as a teenager when it belonged to a local man by the name of Tom Pike.  I'm sure a few remember him.  A wonderful gun.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 01:39:01 AM »
So these are different rifles than in the Oct auction?  Surprised to see another Ernst
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »
I believe he is selling the Flayderman collection this time around.

Centershot

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »
Jim.....boy, you came up with a name from the past.....Tom Pike.    I had a booth across the aisle from Tom at Friendship.
Had a lot of conversations with him and his wife.  .........Don

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 06:07:11 PM »
On the subject of Michael Edwards......the auction mentions him as being "the oldest living fireman". Does anyone know what this is referring to??  This is the second Edwards rifle that I have ever seen, the first on page 26 from the KRA's first book "The Kentucky Rifle a True American Heritage in Picture".  Have never found any information on this builder.  Would love to know more about him.        Thanks to the wonders of the computer.......http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=37628768       http://www.wvgenweb.org/marshall/michaeledwardsbio2012.pdf
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:51:46 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »
Jim.....boy, you came up with a name from the past.....Tom Pike.    I had a booth across the aisle from Tom at Friendship.

Didn't Tom Pike build a period correct blockhouse on his property?  I wonder if it's still there.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 09:54:16 PM »

Didn't Tom Pike build a period correct blockhouse on his property?  I wonder if it's still there.

Maybe sorta period correct.  I haven't been past in a while but I'm sure it's still standing, though probably in need of some repair.  Tom was a good fellow and a real character.

BGC

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »
Whisker's WV book will tell you some information on Michael Edwards as well as show you a picture or two of Michael Edward's work.  He could also be listed in the PA and VA books as well(I'm guessing without looking them up)
Concerning the oldest fireman, that refers to Michael Edwards returning to York, PA sometime after 1860. As a part of the celebration of the York Fire Department's anniversary, Edwards was honored as the oldest living member.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 12:08:39 AM »
Tom Pike's blockhouse was built using old telephone poles, (he may have worked for a utility company). Still and all, it looked pretty good. He had a nice museum in it on both floors. I recall a mounted Passinger Pidgeon on display. There were some guns and frontier things also, but to see the collection of KY Rifles you really had to go inside his home. It was a story and a half as I recall with large rooms. Tom and I did some business so I was invited in. Well, after the initial shock wore off; (there were rifles standing upright around all of the walls of every room that I saw). There were more upstairs, in all the closets, under the beds and couches. Talk about a collection of good guns!!! I saw and handled many of them including the Edwards. It is indeed a great one and the best. It was used a lot and the carving is considerably worn. I may have held it too covetously as he quickly said that it was not available. Tom was a good guy and so was his wife. She was a crack shot and held titles in ML shooting. At this point I don't know if the blockhouse survived after the Pikes or not. You know, these people like them are not being replaced; wonder where our avocation is heading?
Dick

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 04:06:45 AM »
NRA ;D