Author Topic: Peep sight on a long rifle  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Peep sight on a long rifle
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »
In deference to advancing age, I installed a peep sight on the tang of my latest long rifle. For the front, I bought one of those tubular thingies with the multiple inserts.

When I look through the peep, I can see the entire front sight including the tube and part of the top of the barrel. I tried a smaller aperture, but to see anything at all, I then had to move my head forward so far that I got the same sight picture as before. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

I have used peeps on shorter barrels and this didn't happen

Thanks

Dale H

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
Re: Peep sight on a long rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:21:59 PM »
Dale, I only have them on my 36" barreled X-stick rifle, and I don't know what sight picture you would get with a longer barrel then that?  I'm wondering if you shouldn't just try a tall front post sight with no hood, and see if that helps.  Your shooting eye should center that post naturally as you look through the rear peep.  Peeps do get some getting use to.  Sorry I don't have anymore info to help you out.

And yes, when I look through my rear peep on the x-stick rifle, I do see the whole works.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:35:40 PM by Candle Snuffer »
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

rhbrink

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »
That's natural and shouldn't be any problem what so ever. Your eye will naturally center up the hood and the insert of the front sight in the center of the rear aperture.
After shooting for a while you will not even notice the barrel or much of anything else. Consentrate on the front sight, target, and your eye will automatically center the rear. It might take a few range sessions but you will get use to it.

RB

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
Dale,
If the front aperture remains a problem after you have shot it a while, you might want to try a larger front sight ring such as a Redfield or Anschutz that use a similar insert to what you have. The longer the sight radius you have, the more you will see of the top of the barrel and sight. The other thing might be to go with a higher base on the front to get away from at least the top of the barrel.
Mark
Mark

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:04:46 AM »
Which insert are you using on the front sight.  I prefer the insert which is circle in  which I can center the point of aim..  Stop focusing on anything other than the insert.  Just look through the rear sight and don't consciously try to center the front in the rear - your eye and your zero will take care of it so long as you cheek the gun consistently.  . 

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:58:06 AM »
All peeps are pretty much like that, even military battle sights show the whole front sight and some of the barrel.
generally there are two peeps on a mil gun, a small aperture for fine shooting and a larger flip up peep for a wider view and an aid in acquiring and leading a running target. Trust your eye to center things naturally.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 05:02:02 AM »
Which insert are you using on the front sight.  I prefer the insert which is circle in  which I can center the point of aim..  Stop focusing on anything other than the insert.  Just look through the rear sight and don't consciously try to center the front in the rear - your eye and your zero will take care of it so long as you cheek the gun consistently.  . 

I like the circle insert as well.  It works well for the x-stick NMLRA Buffalo Bull targets.  I can't tell you which one I have inserted at this time, but it never takes long to figure out which one works best for each shooter's needs.  I no longer change them out for the 50 & 100 yard matches (which I haven't shot in at least 5 years I bet).  At our local matches we only allow open iron sights off the sticks.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:39 AM »
If you don't know Champion's Choice and Champion Shooters Supply, have a look at them. They have stuff you'll never need.

I got clear plastic apertures that fit my globes and I LOVE them. You really need to call (got mine from CC) and talk to them. Tell them what sight you have and they'll handle which ones fit. I got full sets in the plastic carrier/holders and won't go back.

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=691

If you prefer the metal inserts, some of the best out there can be got from Lee Shaver.

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/-strse-Front-Sight-Insert-Cards/Categories.bok
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »
Kermit,
Champion Shooters Supply is a semi local company, they moved recently but are still fairly close, and Carl usually has a pretty good stock of sight parts. I have found parts for obsolete sights and even some off the wall items. Champions Choice I've not dealt with. If I can help at Champion Shooters Supply, let me know.
Mark
Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »
I've found both "Champions" very knowledgable and helpful. Phone calls for help with compatibility and fitment have solved problems and resulted in me getting the right part the first time. Amazing what an actual phone conversation can still accomplish.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West