Author Topic: Jim Webb's books  (Read 9064 times)

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Jim Webb's books
« on: January 22, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »
I posted this in the Building section but some of you accoutrement makers might also be interested in his other book "Hunting Pouches, Powder Horns and Accourtments of the Southern Appalachians"    
I just had an interesting talk with Jim Webb of Hillsville, VA about his new book "Notes, Drawings, Observations of Rifle Gun Triggers" (also contains photo's, drawings etc about trigger guards, Locks, Fittings of Mountain rifles in the southern Appalachia ) The book is a nicely done paper back with 210 + pages.  (other options below)

It sounds like this book is a Godsend for folks that enjoy making their own parts for southern mountain rifles. Jim said the price is a more than he expected but I think it should easily be worth the price of $30 plus $2.50 postage. He printed 500 copies of this style. He also had 100 printed in color and those are $60 plus $2.50 postage. He also had 50 made up in color with leather bound hard covers for $80.00.

Jim also sells his "Hunting Pouches, Powder Horns and Accourtments of the Southern Appalachians" with 200+ pages for $25 plus $2.50 postage.

Jim does not own a computer and since he has trouble hearing he only does business by mail order. His mailing address is:

Jim Webb
333 Webb Dr.
Hillsville, VA 24343

Tell him you heard about the books on AmericanLongRifles.org

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Jim Webb's books
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »
Dennis, great heads up!  I've been looking for his book for awhile once I heard one existed. 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:46:15 AM »
...... Jim also sells his "Hunting Pouches, Powder Horns and Accouterments of the Southern Appalachians" with 200+ pages for $25 plus $2.50 postage.

When I saw this post last week, I requested the book "Hunting Pouches, Powder Horns and Accouterments of the Southern Appalachians" by Jim Webb, thru the InterLibrary Loan program. 

The book that arrived is "Sketches of Hunting Pouches, Powder Horns and Accouterments of the Southern Appalachians" by Jim Webb.  It is 80 pages and as the title infers, contains only sketches.   It's a nice enough little pamphlet, but for me it isn't $25 nice.

Is this the book Mr. Webb is selling for $25?  Or is there a longer version with the 200+ pages?  Does anyone here own the longer 200+ page book?  Maybe you could give a brief review of what's in it?  Thanks.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:30:20 AM »
Hey Ron, Sorry I missed your question.  My hunting Pouch book contains 206 pages.   I don't know what the difference between the two versions would be?  I ordered both books Mr. Webb sells and I'm happy with both.  They are both sketch books printed with a font looking like hand writting.  That fits the style of both books very well.  It is a collection of tidbits of information on various accoutrements as the name implies.  Ther is pouches, powder horns, knives, bullet molds, powder measures, and several other little dodads. 

Maybe I'm easy to please but I think $25 is a deal for the information contained in the pages.  I jump at any opportunities to learn quickly what other have taken years to obtain. 

Cheers,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 05:12:26 AM »
Ken,

Thanks for the info and clearing things up for me.  There are, indeed, 2 versions of the book then.  The shorter 80 page one that I borrowed and the longer 206 page version.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 06:05:55 AM »
They are both sketch books printed with a font looking like hand writting. 

Ken, that's the way Jim hand writes everything. :)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
Ron, I was perusing the new web site for The Log Cabin shop yesterday and came across Jim's book there, same price and it lists 200 + pages.  Just thought in case you're needing supplies you could pick up the book as well to save some mailing costs.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

rdillon

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Thanks Gary, I will be getting it from them this week!!!!!!!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 06:55:07 PM »
i just received mine last evening.  he sent me his little book on worms too - i was glad i included a little tip ($) with my order.
the book is wonderful reading, and most inspirational.  i'll be creating a few of my own trigger sets fir certain.  i highly recommend the books.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 07:18:36 AM »
Upon returning from eastern Washington this afternoon I was pleasantly surprised to find a  package containing the trigger book, worm book and hunting pouch book waiting for me.  I didn't put them down for over an hour after opening the package.  Great reading, great information and a great value.  Don't know why I waited so long to collect Jim's books.
DMR

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 08:30:36 PM »
I have a copy of Mr. Webb's book, Sketches of Hunting Pouches, Powder Horns, and Accoutrements, which was recently republished by the CLA:

What a terrific book!

I would like to get his others.  Are the trigger and worm books still available?  Obviously, I could write to him and ask, but I was hoping someone here might know, to save a little time and trouble.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 04:40:19 PM »
Didn’t Jim make a book on gun worms and other trappings? I remember reading it and it was tops.
He sure did, I bought one on Amazon a few years back.  I sold it on ebay last year.
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 03:15:35 AM »
I’ve got 2 of his books and they are truly wonderful.
Psalms 144