Author Topic: joe young rifle  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
joe young rifle
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:54:06 PM »
Client brought me a weestern pa plain rifle signed on lock and barrel J Young. 30 cal 40 inch barrel. Untouched in great condition. Does anyone have info on this maker I can share with him. He had a great 13 inch horn in fantastic condition and patina with double curve.  PS halfstock poured nosecap. Passed down by his family.  Thanks
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Don Stith

Re: joe young rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:08:16 AM »
My memory may be faulty, but I think he was a West Virginia maker

BGC

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:19:17 AM »
Joe Young was definitely a WV gunsmith. Whisker and Lambert edition of WV Gunsmiths has information on Joe and also has photo's of his guns as well as a photo of Joe himself.  He came from PA to WV. Many of his PA guns are pretty crude, but when he came to WV, he started copying the work of his brother in law, Joshua W. Stackhouse. The workmanship is so close that you can hardly tell them apart unless you look at the barrel signature. I've seen full stocks, half stocks, full patch boxes and cap boxes examples of his work.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:51:18 AM »
Where in WV did he make rifles?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

BGC

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 04:36:01 AM »
Wetzel County. Just North of New Martinsville. Extreme Western part of the state along the Ohio River.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »
Where did he learn the trade?

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:37:56 AM »
I think, there may be a picture of one of Joe Young's fancy rifles in Madison Grant's Hunting Pouch book. The last time I looked at David Condon's site he had  a real nice J Young halfstock with a lot of silver inlays for sale.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:42:51 AM by Avlrc »

BGC

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 06:22:35 AM »
It's unknown where Joe first learned the trade. Probably somewhere in PA.  His quality of workmanship definitely improved when he moved "up the holler" from the older Stackhouse.

Offline Levy

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »
I purchased a J. Young percussion half-stock with a poured nose cap in approximately .27 cal. at the CLA Show 2 years ago.  it is in very good condition and has a Leman perc. lock.  It has a single lever set trigger and a beaver tail/Holston River style cheek piece.  A little bit of rather crude engraving on the side plate and the toe plate.  Nice browned barrel with some black overlay/patina.

James Levy
James Levy

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
   The one I saw had a standard KY style cheekpiece maybe 4" long.  Had a nice profile where the comb meets
the wrist.  Architecture like a Shreck with the big drop and long buttplate extension.  The condition was great and
this guy still hunts squirrels with it.  Wish I had asked him if I could post the pictures.  The lockplate was stamped
J. Young.  Does that usually mean he made the lock?

BGC

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 03:27:06 AM »
Pretty rare to find a lock plate with Joe's stamp. He might have, he might not have made the lock.  I've got a bronze bullet mold with his stamp on it.  No doubt he probably made it. Maybe old Joe liked stamping things with his stamp. :D