Author Topic: Finally finished.  (Read 2658 times)

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Finally finished.
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »
This is a smallish horn that I have had half done for a long time. The butt of this horn was thick walled but the tip was fairly open to the tip. That's why I could keep the nice twist at the tip and still get it drilled. It was one of those squished horns that was not going to round but fit nicely to the body. It was also quite bug eaten. After I got it drilled and mostly shaped I had a hard time deciding on a treatment for the butt. I finally decided on a flattened piece of black horn and pinned it into the thick walls of the base of the horn. If you look carefully you can see where the pins go into the wall of the horn. The staple also acts as two of the pins. It then had thin ACC wicked into the joint to seal and help hold it. I'm fairly confident that the butt will stay tight but it will probably stay with me or go to someone I will stay in touch with so I can see how this treatment works. I put some vine scrim on it and colored it with AF and aged it a little with shoe polish. The tip plug is horn and has a wire vent pick in it.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:05:22 PM by skillman »
Steve Skillman

Offline Elnathan

Re: Finally finished.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:03:31 AM »
I was just admiring that horn over on The Horner's Bench. Very nice.

I don't think that I have run across that tip pattern before. Is it from an original, or one of your own devising?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Finally finished.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:28:49 AM »
I can't put a finger on a duplicate of this but there are many that are certainly similar on originals. It leaves the tip substantial enough to be fairly strong but allowed me to get rid of a lot of material behind it and lighten up the horn. The tip is long and slender enough to make it easy to prime with.

Steve
Steve Skillman