Author Topic: Re-purposed table knives.  (Read 7115 times)

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re-purposed table knives.
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »
A friend and Rondy partner of mine used to frequent the second hand stores looking for treasures. We gought a number of table knives by known makers as table ware at Rendezvous or Colonial fairs. Some of them were not in the best of shape but we didn't pay much for them back then. $2 to $5 range. Over a period of time I started reshaping these as bag or patch knives. The steel in these is very good and they really hold an edge. Some I was very careful about scratches and barks but I like the ones that look like some settler just used what they had. Some I've kept and some are now gone but I still enjoy these little inexpensive knives.

The 2 on the left are Lamson and Goodnow, The 2 on the right are Russell.

Steve
Steve Skillman

gizamo

Re: Re-purposed table knives.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 10:17:21 PM »
Steve,

I have done the same...  even enlisting Ken Hamilton to re-purpose a early blade into a proper trade knife.  

Yours look great!  The L&G is actually stunning. Now, they need some proper leather... ;D

Giz
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:19:34 PM by gizamo »

Offline whitebear

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »
I like your knives.  I buy any "Old Hickory" that I find for a good price and do about the same thing as you.  Some I put a new handle on.  I have one with a half tang that I replaced the handled on with Osage and drilled the handle for a 35 grain powder charge that I use with my poboy .36 cal' squirrel rifle.

http://s282.photobucket.com/user/flintlockmdj/media/AARONS-HP/Pictures/FinePixViewerS/2013_1229/DSCF0947.jpg.html

http://s282.photobucket.com/user/flintlockmdj/media/AARONS-HP/Pictures/FinePixViewerS/2013_1229/DSCF0945.jpg.html

http://s282.photobucket.com/user/flintlockmdj/media/AARONS-HP/Pictures/FinePixViewerS/2013_1229/DSCF0948.jpg.html
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:52:08 AM by whitebear »
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Rkymtn57

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:36:35 AM »
"Old Hickery" ya say.....I've been thinking about doing this myself , now I will.   
Very nice !  Thanks D

TradT

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 02:47:34 AM »
Excellent way to put some old things to new use!

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »
Here's the knife Mikey made for me that started this. Joseph Rodgers & Sons.   Cutlers to Her Majesty   Shefeild England
This one really sharpens up and holds an edge. The sheath I made.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »
This is one that had a horn handle and so got reshaped and the blade reshaped more than the last. I kind of thought at first this was stainless of some sort. It's harder to sharpen and doesn't hold it's edge as well but it will rust so not stainless. Maybe stainfree?
L.Jost   Strasbourg. I really liked the diecast pattern in the front of the handle. Kind of fancy..

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »
Those are great looking knives Steve.
A friend of mine gave me a Russell table knife he reshaped and its my only patch knife.  I always look for these old knives for sale at antique stores but they are never cheap it seems.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:04:57 PM by SligoBill »

Offline heelerau

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 02:31:53 AM »
Gents, same across the big pond, I have done the same with a little English table knife, does make a cracking patch knife, picked up for a couple of dollars somewheres, has a nice bone handle. Nice bunch of knives you blokes have.

cheers
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Yancey von Yeast

• Starting Member
    • Yancey von Yeast Antique Arms
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 03:29:18 PM »
Please keep in mind that while many of these mid-late 19th century knives can be modified, they are still antiques.  Years ago while having this conversation with an old friend he put it this way, "What if someone had modified 18th century antiques for another purpose just because they were plentiful?"  It would be a sin to alter a 1740's pistol grip table knife.  The day may come when these knives are scarce and valued for what they are."

Just another way to look at things.

Yancey

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »
The more '32 deuce roadsters get cut up for hotrods, the greater the value of unmolested restored originals. But it doesn't stop folks with deep pockets buying what they want and modifying as they choose.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Artificer

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
Please keep in mind that while many of these mid-late 19th century knives can be modified, they are still antiques.  Years ago while having this conversation with an old friend he put it this way, "What if someone had modified 18th century antiques for another purpose just because they were plentiful?"  It would be a sin to alter a 1740's pistol grip table knife.  The day may come when these knives are scarce and valued for what they are."

Just another way to look at things.

Yancey

As I'm sure you realize, they did modify 18th century items for "modern purposes" in the 19th century and then went on to break them or wear them out and finally discard them.  Many 18th century guns were "percussioned" in the 19th century and rebored and rerifled or smooth bored and shot until they were mostly or completely worn out.  That's why we don't have as many 18th century items as we might otherwise have had.

I'm guilty of having the lenses taken out of an original  Ca. 1810 brass frame pair of spectacles and then having modern prescription lenses for me put in them in the 1970's when reproduction spectacles were not available.  Yes, I saved the original lenses, but I lost the spectacles during a Battle Reenactment at New Market, VA in the early 80's and though we had over two dozen people looking, we could not find them.  (I can imagine some 23rd century Archeologist finding them and saying, "AHA!!!  This is PROOF they had prescription lenses in the early 19th century.  Grin.)

However, Yancey, I am with you in spirit.  With so many good reproductions available, I try not to use original pieces at all anymore or be EXTREMELY careful with them when I do.  For example, I needed some "period C clamps" a few times at living histories.  I found an original set of four hand forged "quilting clamps" that were just the ticket, but I only use them in good weather.  I also occasionally use some 18th and early 19th century pin, hand and bench vises; but don't modify them and use them VERY carefully.
Gus 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 10:16:28 PM »
That style of Ford.the 1932 was a one year model and then it was changed
again for the 1933 year model. The 1932 has a radiator shell scaled down from a
1932 KB Lincoln which in turn borrowed most of its contour from the Allen Leamy
designed L29 Cord and Model "J"Duesenberg.

Bob Roller

Offline Kermit

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 12:00:13 AM »
Just for those who've not seen one stock and wearing fenders.

http://khongthe.com/wallpapers/cars/1932-ford-v8-roadster-83632.jpg

Stock 3-window coupe is hard to find too.

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1932ford3wcp092403.htm
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:04:30 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 05:11:33 AM »
It is collectors of all things old and rare that drive up the price and value of said things. When they were built, most of these things were just "Things". Tools, kitchen ware, guns, anything needed to survive or be happy. It is the collector, not the builder or original owner that puts such an unrealistic value on "things".

Steve
Steve Skillman