Author Topic: full lined pouches ?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
full lined pouches ?
« on: December 29, 2013, 05:49:11 AM »
how do i go about to completely lining a pouch.
Denis

Offline Artificer

Re: full lined pouches ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:52:32 AM »
I hope no one takes this as criticism, but in all the cartridge boxes, cartridge pouches and bags I've made over the years, I've never used a cloth liner.  I haven't seen evidence it is correct for an 18th or early 19th bag/pouch and that's the time period I have been concentrating more on in the last 20 years or so of my 40 plus years now of black powder shooting and reenacting.   However, we have learned a lot since the early 70's on what is and what is not authentic and I've enjoyed seeing the sport improving in a more accurate historic portrayal.

Having said that, I still have natural curiosity on such cloth lined pouches.  I have wondered if one makes a cloth bag and "tack sews" into the pouch or if the cloth bag is only attached near the tip of the interior of the pouch or if the cloth pieces are sewn into the seams/welts of the leather pieces of the pouch?  I suspect one of the two first methods, but don't know for sure. 

So I am looking forward to answers on this question as well.
Gus

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 04:07:33 AM »
I have never seen a lined original late 18th or early 19th century bag either, but that didn't stop me from making them in the past.   It is hard not to make them when everybody else is.   I have made some snazzy ones too, with really colorful Turkish red calico.  :D  The way I have done it is to sew the lining as it's own bag and stitch it under the binding of the front panel and flap.  
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:09:24 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Artificer

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:04:25 AM »
Mark,

Makes sense.  Thanks.
Gus

michaelB.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »
I'm a newbie here but have been a pretty avid and continuous (primitive) shooter since1975 and would like to offer a couple of comments.  I certainly agree with both Gus and Mark re: a lined original bag.  Never have seen or heard of one in existence but who knows if someone didn't use some scrap back in the 1700 or 1800s.  I'd guess rarely given the frontiersman's 'use what you have' way of going and there probably wasn't a lot of cloth for them readily available e.

Having said that, if I were going to make a lined bag, I'd do it one of two ways: either touches of glue to secure the cloth to each piece of the bag prior to assembly or by Mark's method.

I've seen some nice bags that were lined, but don't quite see any utility to it.  I just finished a new bag that has a nice 'spade' cutout on the outer flap that will match that on the patchbox of a rifle under construction...  the bag ain't lined,

Happy Holidays
MichaelB

JoeG

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »
When building a lined bag I just glue the cloth to the bag pieces before sewing.

I agree that early bags were not lined ,I've been looking at original bags for 40 years and have seen only a couple that had a lining and they were of an unknown date. Those that were lined had a rolled welt and were very well made. A lined flap seems to be a more common feature.

Most of the originals I've seen were not welted.

I make both lined and unlined bags, I use a lining to add extra strength and body when using  thiner leather. Its interesting to note that lined bags and welted bags sell faster than unlined and non welted, even after telling people that a lining is not period and welting not as common.