Author Topic: work on new pouch  (Read 3260 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
work on new pouch
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »
work in progress, made this as a simple pouch with rolled welt and some decorative sewing on the front and a lining under the flap and as usual vinegar stain for this one, tried different numbers of strands for sewing. All white thread, next one will do all the cutting and staining than use the white thread .The decorative sewing should come out more , Tried it on a piece but found it quite difficult need some very good lighting to do this when i use dark leather.

Denis

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: work on new pouch
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »
Looks good to me Denis. The color looks good. I used a wrought iron/vinegar stain on a horn strap and it turned a dark gray. Hated it at first but now I kind of like it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:18:43 AM »
I like it! very creative, nice design and cool fabric. I love the dark blue-black that comes from the vinegar stain. you can put other dyes over it too for some interesting finishes if you haven't tried that yet.

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:55:31 AM »
noooo! that sounds very interesting, this pouch is a trial pouch so will try it, i usually then go to different colored wax , should be interesting, But the next one will try medium brown stain than black wax
Eric  thanks for the idea
Denis

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 02:06:58 AM »
What kind of wax are you using?

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:54:18 AM »
Eric i start at a dollar store
 they have two or three color's , KS is the brand the ones i just picked up it's black but the color is towards dark marine blue the brown not that good .
. I then buy the better stuff that goes for 6 to 8 dollars Moneysworth and kiwi just standard shoe polish in brown and black I will make some with deer tallow and bees wax a recipe that i found in an old muzzleloader mag. An article from T.C. If i wax to often it will just go darker if you can make or find a clear one that could help from going to dark .But when i have the color that i like i just go with mink oil , than try to remember to give them a good rub once in a while. Sometimes when i wax i use a hair drier to heat up the leather that to seems to penetrate better then do the same with the mink oil. It changes the look of the leather
Denis