Author Topic: Why Switch From Rifled to Smoothbore  (Read 9561 times)

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
Why Switch From Rifled to Smoothbore
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:00:12 AM »
I was thinking today of how many guys I know that have switched from their rifled muzzle loader to a smooth bore.  Seems like they all say the same thing for doing it.  "I can't see the rear sight on my rifle any more so I just decided to go with the smooth bore and no rear sight.

I got to thinking about this and thought to myself (since they're still shooting a single patched round ball), why not just remove the rear sight on your existing rifle and shoot it that way?

Now I do realize that down the road they may want to shoot buck-n-ball, or shot,,, but over the many years I've known these guys they all just shoot a single patched round ball...

Just thought I'd mention it.  Doesn't really matter as they really enjoy their shooting, and that's what it's about... :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:02:23 AM by Candle Snuffer »
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

necchi

Re: Why Switch From Rifled to Smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:46:49 AM »
It'll happen to you sooner or later.
Best hope for later,, but it could be sooner than ya think ,
 :D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:51:45 AM »
Put a scope on your rifle.
 ;D
Or a lollipop tang sight.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Smoketown

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
Just remove the rear sight?  

Why not?

Back in the day, small bore shooters would adjust their stocks and then, remove the rear sight assembly and shoot a group.

More often than not, the group size didn't change only point of impact did.

Replace rear sight, readjust the stock and try again ...

The rear sight just verifies/confirms correct head position on the stock.

You just have to be willing to use files and scrapers to "adjust" the stock.

Now, how well does your current rifle fit?

Pick a small target across the room or out the back window.

Close your eyes and throw the rifle to your shoulder and open your eye(s).

Are you on target or, did you have to bob your head around a bit to lineup the sights?

Peep sights, open sights or scopes ... It doesn't matter ... The above drill works.

Am I ready to remove MY rear sight?

Not yet, although it IS sneaking up on the front sight !!   ;D

Cheers
Smoketown

dagner

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:14:15 AM »
life gets real interesting with only front sight after 25 YARDS -with a lot of practice I was surprised out t0 75 you could still ring the rifle steel targets up at our winter off hand meat shoots a group of the guys and gals are regularly shooting their smooth bores now and doing fine

Offline Captchee

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »

i guess i would have to ask why they dont just move the rear sight  placement so that they can see it ?

when changing over to a smoothbore  ,  most  of  folks i shoot smoothbore with , still use something for a rear reference. Some use  the tang bolt , others the  width of the tang , still others like myself , use the top barrel flat . as was said , the rear sight is just a reference an alignment  anyway  . As such once you chose a new reference and sight the gun in for that reference  , your again good to go .

Black Jack

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:02:10 PM »
Put a scope on your rifle.
Verily I say to thee, this is against the laws of God and man.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
 I simply told my eye doctor my problem, and he had me bring in my rifle, and ground my prescription accordingly. Come on, if they can grind lenses so you can read, and see your computer, and drive a car, they can do the same with your long rifle. Is it like when I was 20? No, but then again nothing is. Besides I love dragging my long rifle into the doctors office, just to see the fear in every bodies eyes.

Hungry Horse

Offline EC121

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
Buy one of those adjustable apertures that clip on your glasses.  You can adjust the depth of field to see both sights.  The Merit Sight Disk comes to mind, but there are others.  I even made one out of a piece of electrical tape stuck to my glasses with a hole punched buy the head of a finishing nail. 
Brice Stultz

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 03:40:05 AM »
I simply told my eye doctor my problem

Did the same thing, only I was fitted for contacts, works great.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 05:04:52 AM »
Maybe the real reason is they just want a new gun.
" Geez honey I just can't see like I used to ..Luckily there is something I can see well enough to shoot and be competitive "
It's kinda like archery  ;)
Nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:07:29 AM by stuart cee dub »

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 05:54:52 AM »
Maybe the real reason is they just want a new gun.
" Geez honey I just can't see like I used to ..Luckily there is something I can see well enough to shoot and be competitive "
It's kinda like archery  ;)
Nothing wrong with that.

I think you're right on the mark, and there's nothing wrong with that! :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Vomitus

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 02:51:59 AM »
    Don't buy a smoothbore! They're not accurate and nobody has any fun that shoots them. ...and ya need a step ladder to load 'em!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:37:48 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 03:27:44 AM »
Around here we stand on the tail gates of trucks to load smooth
bores and looooong rifles.

Bob Roller

galamb

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 03:38:24 AM »
I have just started thinking about a smooth bore.

For me it's about (regression) to a more primitive weapon.

With bows I went from compound and crossbow down to recurve and then longbow as my interest developed.

My first black powder rifle was an off the shelf side hammer percussion. From there I went to an S. Hawken halfstock and then a couple of 1840's Ohio halfstock percussions.

Then a full stock percussion. Now a percussion conversion with a flintlock rifle coming to the bench right after that.

Thinking ahead I still want "earlier" and I just see it as a "natural progression (regression)" as my interest grows - so a smooth bore is kinda "next in line".

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 04:21:49 AM »
I have just started thinking about a smooth bore.

For me it's about (regression) to a more primitive weapon.

With bows I went from compound and crossbow down to recurve and then longbow as my interest developed.

My first black powder rifle was an off the shelf side hammer percussion. From there I went to an S. Hawken halfstock and then a couple of 1840's Ohio halfstock percussions.

Then a full stock percussion. Now a percussion conversion with a flintlock rifle coming to the bench right after that.

Thinking ahead I still want "earlier" and I just see it as a "natural progression (regression)" as my interest grows - so a smooth bore is kinda "next in line".

How much earlier?
The rifle  was very common with the Shawnee and Delawares by the 1740s.
The  1680s 10% of a NY Militia force was rifle armed.
Now the English and French were more smoothbore oriented.
Reminds me a an account of some Frenchmen sometime circa 1700 !@*%&@ near starving cause they could not feed themselves with their smoothbores. Shooting a number of shots at turkeys roosted in trees and not killing any turkeys. Plus they made all that noise...

Dan

galamb

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 04:30:44 AM »
I've kinda worked my way back to 1790-1800 rifles.

Something earlier - pre-1750's in a smooth bore - maybe English musket.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 04:37:36 AM »

If someone wants to shoot a SB it really requires no justification. Just get one and shoot it.

Dan

Offline Artificer

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 01:01:13 PM »
My first muzzleloader was a TC “Hawken” in .50 caliber because almost no one was shooting muzzleloaders in my part of Iowa back then and the TC was available to buy.  I bought it while on Boot Camp leave in January 1972. 

Then my best friend in life took me to the Primitive Range for the Spring National Shoot at Friendship in 1974.  I could not shoot the TC there because it wasn’t authentic, but I really got hooked on the “Buckskinning Thing” and was introduced to Flintlocks.  Grin. 

The “funny thing” for me was my first Flinter was a Brown Bess Carbine and not a rifle.  I bought it because it was the closest thing available to a “Sergeant’s Fusil” then and I was attempting to put together a Continental Marine Sergeant’s Impression.  It was also a LOT cheaper than an authentic flint rifle and money was very tight in those days.  Besides, my best friend in life loaned me a flint rifle when I wanted to shoot in matches. 

I could shoot that Bess Carbine in Northwest Trade Gun matches, so that’s the gun I competed with most often at the Spring and Fall Nationals at Friendship throughout the 70’s.  No, I never placed well in any national shoot, but had a GREAT time shooting and being with the folks on the Primitive Range in those days. 

After I was transferred back to Virginia in 1980 and once again worked “Trigger Jobs” and other gun work at the Spring and Fall National Shoots of the NSSA, I finally worked my Brown Bess Carbine lock down to a decent trigger pull and not the 9 or 10 lb trigger pull it came with.  WOW, BIG difference on how much easier it was to shoot a good target, even though I had gotten to the point I could regularly split a musket ball on a double bladed axe at 25 yards even with the heavier trigger pull. 

I also shot some clay pigeons “on the fly” with shot in that Brown Bess Carbine using 11 Gauge Wads and Cards in some Northwest Gun Matches.  I didn’t hit many of them, but that heavy trigger pull was often the cause. ( I had grown up hunting rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, quail, duck, and geese with a modern shotgun and was a pretty fair wing shot as well as one summer season of amateur Trap Shooting League at our Local Isaac Walton Club.  So it wasn’t that I did not know how to shoot something “on the fly.”  Grin.)

Bottom line a smoothbore can open up new challenges and even different types of shooting as in clay pigeons or wing shooting.  So perhaps if one is interested, it is something enjoyable to augment other shooting, rather than replacing it.  Heck, it gives you a new/different gun to shoot in different ways and that can be a blast.

Gus

Offline Kermit

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »

If someone wants to shoot a SB it really requires no justification. Just get one and shoot it.

Dan

Amen, brother!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »
My only smoothbore has a rear sight; not uncommon at all in the 18th century.  Shot is easy to manage and accuracy with round ball is excellent.  Excellent enough that I managed to make a decent running shot on a large doe.  A rifle would not have performed any better.  It is an early American fowler with a colonial flint lock.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

blaksmth

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 04:39:27 AM »
Galamb,

If you want to go real primitive I have an ORIGIONAL ROCK I will sell you!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline whitebear

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 08:54:50 AM »
I agree with the statements on putting a scope on a flintlock but there are exceptions.
I have a friend who lost the use of his right eye due to cataract surgery and has macular degeneration in his left eye.  He is having a scope put on a flintlock so that he can see good enough to shoot left handed.  He has accepted the fact that he can no longer compete but at least he will be able to shoot accurately.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 10:00:26 PM »
In order for a friend's father to continue hunting with him, our friend had to mount a scope on his dad's grouse gun, a .410 single shot.   There are extenuating circumstances for odd sighting arrangements.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V