Author Topic: John Grove  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
John Grove
« on: January 15, 2014, 06:42:54 PM »
I've been asked to provide information on the maker for the owner of this rifle.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:43:51 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline spgordon

Re: John Grove
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:51:57 PM »
Is this the rifle about which, earlier, we were wondering if "Grave" and "Graeff" were the same makers? Would it be possible to see a shot of the barrel signature?
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
Scott,  Yes, it's the same one and after further exam, the owner states that both he and
his father were wrong about the signature.  It is Grove.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »
Rob,

Whisker's Arms Makers of PA:  Grove, John: Gunsmith, 1807-1808, Cumberland Twp., Greene Co. (from tax lists)

Sellers' American Gunsmiths: Has the same Greene Co. information but also a John Grove in Hagerstown, MD, (no dates) with the notation/question that they might be the same John Grove?

Bill