Author Topic: Possibles Bags with Button Closures  (Read 6862 times)

cahil_2

Possibles Bags with Button Closures
« on: January 17, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »
I look at sites like this and the CLA, as well as ebay and see a lot of possibles bags for sale with button closures.  Personally none of my bags have button closures.  It just seems like it would be a pain to be having to button down the front flap at the range or while hunting.   So, was just wondering what all you ALR members think about bags with button closures.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Re: Possibles Bags with Button Closures
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »
I prefer bags without buttons. I like a heavy flap that stays in place.
iloco

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 05:18:26 PM »
I much prefer a bag with a button for hunting. You only go in the bag a couple of times during the day, but when you do you want everything to be there.

If you are shooting on a range and going into the bag often then you just leave the button undone.

4ster

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »
I have both.  I only button the button bag when I feel there is a chance that the contents would spill when I move.  Most of the time it is not buttoned. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
Also have hunting bags with and without button closures.  If the flap is long and heavy enough, I don't bother.  The button is on a nice bag with a bit of a short flap.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
Also have hunting bags with and without button closures.  If the flap is long and heavy enough, I don't bother.  The button is on a nice bag with a bit of a short flap.

Same here. :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »
I mostly don't bother with a button, my horn attached to the bag strap rides right over the flap and holds it closed. If I were going to hunt where I had to crawl through laurel thickets or maybe run from Indians I might want a button on it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 11:21:24 PM »
I mostly don't bother with a button, my horn attached to the bag strap rides right over the flap and holds it closed. If I were going to hunt where I had to crawl through laurel thickets or maybe run from Indians I might want a button on it.

Forgot to mention that I also have attached horns on the buttonless bags and it does help keep the flaps closed.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

michaelB.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:37:33 AM »
I'm on my fifth or sixth bag since 1976 when I first started black powder shooting and shot with Elk River Longrifles in Tullahoma Tn.  I haven't made on with a button on the outside, relying on the weight of the outside flap and/or the horn to keep things inside.  On my newest bag, I have an interior pocket with a wood button I cut drilled and put on it.  Works fine.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 02:34:17 AM »
A little off topic, but I made a little leather pocket that my little tin bottle of bear oil fits in. I sewed a button in the back of my pouch and I button the little pouch in there to make sure my oil bottle stays upright and my oil doesn't leak out.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »
I like a button. Mine is actually a folded button attached to the bottom of the bag with an open tab attached to the inside of the flap. Similar to an 18 century cartridge box fastener. Like previously mentioned you only open the bag occasionally might as well keep your stuff in there.

cahil_2

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 05:35:17 PM »
I never thought about it from strictly a hunting point of view, but having a button on a hunting bag makes sense.  When I go to shoots, I shoot out of my bag and not a shooting box, because I try to keep it simple.  I have  5 guns, 2 45's, a trade gun, a32, and a 25.  I use one bag for my 45's, because I use the same for both guns except for a primer and capper, that way I don't forget stuff.  I use a bag for my trade gun, and another bag for my two small caliber guns, because everything is the same except for ball size.  My bags are always ready to go, just have to grab powder horn, gun, and bag and I can shoot.  If I go to a weekend shoot, I bring a shooting box with extra shooting supplies.  I digress.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »
I have a moose hide Humber Valley Traders bag that's been with me for 30-35 years. It has a fairly long flap that has a heart-shaped piece of lead stitched between tha two leather flap layers. It's attractive and really serves to keep the flap down. All my other bags have buttons. They stay unbuttoned when shooting but are buttoned up tight while traveling to help keep items from going astray.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Online Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 01:53:43 AM »
My possible's closure buttons are all lead- made from the ball that I shoot from that bag. Thus, my 14 bore's flap is held down with a hammered flat .69 calibre ball. The weight of the ball helps keep the flap down, as well.

I have a bag that has a cloth flap- it has two flattened .69 balls - one sewn onto the inside of each corner for flap weights - as well as a flattened .45 cal. ball for the 'button'.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Artificer

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:11 AM »
I like a button. Mine is actually a folded button attached to the bottom of the bag with an open tab attached to the inside of the flap. Similar to an 18 century cartridge box fastener. Like previously mentioned you only open the bag occasionally might as well keep your stuff in there.

I strongly prefer a button and attach it like Micah mentioned.  I made a lot more 18th and early 19th century cartridge boxes and cartridge pouches in 70's and 80's, and so got used to them.  However, my primary reason to have one is to keep items in the pouch when hunting or reenacting.

I've never taken a tumble out of a canoe, though a buttoned flap would ensure things stayed inside the pouch then.  I would never want to wade or cross a deep crick or river without a buttoned or tied down flap. even when holding gun, bag and horn above the water - or at least until you hit a hole and slip in.......   I've never had to do a lot of climbing up and downhill with a gun, pouch and horn,, because most places we drive through passes and over hills, etc., but I want a secure flap for when I do in case I slip.....

On a target range, I just leave the flap unbuttoned. 
Gus