Author Topic: What's on your workbench?  (Read 26232 times)

Offline davebozell

What's on your workbench?
« on: January 20, 2014, 03:18:11 AM »
Just curious, what are you working on at the moment?  Here's what's on my messy workbench.  It's a 50 cal TOTW "kit".  I'll get it finished eventually.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:36:40 PM by davebozell »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: What's on your workbench
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 03:33:32 AM »
From what I see, you dont know what messy is.  ;D I cant see mine but I think a 50 cal longrifle resides under the mess someplace.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 03:39:52 AM »
If that bench is messy, then my bench is currently apocalyptic.  I've got a pistol getting its final coat, but have mostly been working on my display for the 18th Century Artisans Show, including a new sign.  So my workbench is a mix of various oil finishes, pigments, and at the moment, acrylic paint.  
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Okefinokee Outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 04:50:24 AM »
I'm about to drill and tap for the touchhole liner on my Chambers early Lancaster. 

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:34:16 AM »
How is that messy you can still see the bench top! :P Mine has the barrel clamped in the vice , breached and draw filed it smooth today .

blaksmth

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »
I am working on a left hand .54 cal plains rifle ,with a drum and nipple and I am in the process of making a set of double set single action triggers that are almost complete, then they will be fit to the stock that has the lock and barrel already set in the blank that I did a while back.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:03:16 AM »
Took a break from gun work today so this is what's on my workbench today.Some late 1600' trade silver.Back to gun work tomorrow  ;) ;)

Mitch Yates

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:04:16 AM by aka tallbear »

odis

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:07:35 AM »
Right now my bench is covered with reloading supplies fishing tackle and who knows what. In 2.5 weeks when my wife and I get home from a road trip it will be cleaned and covered with chisels and gouges to be sharpened so I can start on a brand new Chambers Pennsylvania fowler kit and then all of the dumb questions will start.

greybeard

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:17:07 AM »
Everything.    Bob

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 06:20:06 AM »
Building a Dickert with a twist--building it for a high school mascot and it is a "cap" gun for ease of use.  Building it for no cost to the young man that asked me to build it for him.  He put up $200 for parts and I have scrounged and used some of my stuff and got a couple of deals on the barrel and stock (a 2nd from Pecatonica), then got a small Siler percussion lock in a trade.  Have all the parts and am currently inletting the lock.  My buddy and I made the trigger. My bench is a total mess as usual, nothing like the one pictured above.  Mine doesn't even look that clean when I'm not working on anything.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:07 AM »
A section of my bench......this is fairly neat.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 06:40:14 AM »
Right now my bench is covered with reloading supplies fishing tackle and who knows what. In 2.5 weeks when my wife and I get home from a road trip it will be cleaned and covered with chisels and gouges to be sharpened so I can start on a brand new Chambers Pennsylvania fowler kit and then all of the dumb questions will start.

Welcome to the forum from your description of your bench sounds like you will fit in here real good.  If any of us can help just holler.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
I have a bench on my bench.  I am trying to finish a jointers bench that has been on my things to do list for a year.   

Offline davebozell

Re: What's on your workbench?
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 01:45:58 PM »
Okay, you caught me!  I did straighten up a little before the picture.  It was a good excuse to get rid of some of the odd bits that seem to accumulate.  I think the pictures make it look better than it really is.  I need to make some holders like Acer has for his chisels.  I added some heat to the garage this year so that I can at least work there during the winter.  50 degrees in the garage is much better than the -15 we had a couple weeks ago.

Offline cmac

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »
I've got a mess too! Currently working on a Verner rifle. Next is an English fowler(lefty). I should have photos up in a few days on the Verner.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »
I just yesterday finished building a Pecatonica .45 caliber underhammer for the neighbor across the street.  Now I have a couple of weeks to get busy on my Bucks County rifle again before I light out for one last week long ML hunt for the season.   
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »
Acer what is the big black chunk of goo looking thing in your photo
David.
David Veith

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 04:10:14 PM »
I have two benches. My gun bench is currently taken up with a left handed .58 cal. rifle stocked like a fowling piece. I just cant bring myself to post a pic of the bench in it's current state but do have a pic of the rifle which I brought to the house last night.
On my leather benches I am currently working on a large order for a matching pouch, horn strap, garters, two knife sheaths, belt, belt pouch.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:13:31 PM by James Rogers »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 04:11:08 PM »
Wow,  I thought I was the only one. I just can't seem to put a tool away when I finish using it. So eventually I have to clear off my bench, because I can no longer find the tool I just had in my hand.
I'm gonna show my wife the photos of y'all's shop, just to prove it's not just me!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
David, the black goo is PITCH. Used to hold a piece for forming or engraving. Warm the pitch with a torch, warm the part, and press it into the pitch. When cool, it holds the part very firmly, yet is flexible.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
What 'project' is on my bench, ah, that is a horse of a different colour, eh. (I'm boning up on my Canadian)

This is my latest, a gun of unknown origin. Is it German, American? I don't know. The gun won't talk to me, I am just here helping it appear, easing it forth from its natal sheath, coaxing it forward, to be able to stand on its own and converse by Lewisburg.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
My bench is covered with mounds of saw dust and wood chips. Not just a smattering, I'm talking 30 guns worth. Somewhere under all that are my tools. You just kind of rake around in all that till you find what you're looking for. The actual gun I'm building is a club glutious maximus fowling gun stocked in a piece of super Iowa cherry.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
Mike, I'd suggest take the leaf blower to your bench every week or two.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »
Mike, if you added some chicken @#$%/!! it sounds like Ron Griffey's shop used to be!

I've got a .50 Maryland rifle 60-70% done, but this dang duck season keeps getting my schedule shot to $#@*.  Hard to head toward the shop when there are THOUSANDS of canvasbacks flying up and down the Little Choptank out my front window.  Ohhh, and tomorrow is going to be epic - 25 knot N winds and 6" of snow coming in.   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

pushboater

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 06:53:30 PM »
Still working ever so slowly on my fantasy Bucks Swivel Breech. Maybe this time next year I'll be close to being finished.