Author Topic: What's on your workbench?  (Read 26230 times)

Offline flehto

Re: What's on your workbench?
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »
Just showing the present build....I'm ashamed of my  messy bench and reneging on my New Year's resolution to straighten things up once a year....Fred

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:02:47 PM by flehto »

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 07:15:06 PM »
On my workbench right now- 4 Abu Garcia reels that I've been meaning to send off since last spring. A little bit off duck hunting gear, shells, headlamp, gloves, etc. I was doing a scale drawing of a 52' Bugeye that belonged to my great-grandfather, but it has been stowed against the wall for now. Last night I decided to mount a little C. Parker vice to a 2" thick piece of scrap walnut. I'll be able to clamp this in almost any position and hopefully use it for something other than collecting dust under my bench. I've picked up and put away all the stray tools that have been gathering on my bench for the last year or so- even gave some duplicate tools away just so I don't have to wonder where to put them.
This enabled me to, (once again) get out that gorgeous curly maple stock blank that I've been wanting to turn into a gun and look at it, just imagining the possibilities.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »
Got parts ordered for a .45 cal. Early Lancaster long rifle. Sort of a Bivins "Haines".  Going to use a blank from Gunstocksplus & swamped "B" Rice bbl. If computer will co-operate--I'll post a pic or to when parts come in & work gets underway....Tom 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 08:17:58 PM »
ON my bench? Right now, a leg for a pine table my wife requested. There's a paring chisel and a small shop-made plane. I use a small traditional cabinetmakers bench with a tool tray across the back. There are a few small items in there: foxtail brush, small containers of Ballistol and 50/50 ATF-acetone, couple of small bar lamps, wooden mallet, scratch awl, utility knife, chunk of beeswax, Q-tips,  pencils, roll of blue tape, tape measure, empty Vernor's can, and empty beer bottle. My Windsor chair and stitching horse are about 8' away, but not doing anything at the moment.

I can't work well in chaos. Working in furniture shops I learned that my efficiency goes to pot when I'm messy, so I usually don't go there. Usually.

In a rack on the wall are a 12ga fowling piece and 5 restocking projects that rotate to the bench when I'm inspired.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 08:29:34 PM »
An empty Vernor's can…..Hmm. I was working for some folks who's 2nd home is near me. They kept asking me if I wanted a Vernor's. What the heck is a Vernor's I finally asked. Oh! You've never had a Vernor's? "No", I said.
They insisted I try one. It was good, a ginger ale of sorts. I saved the can so I have an empty Vernor's can too.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline t.caster

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:39 PM »
I have what is starting to look like Joh Schreit's 1761 rifle (RCA-18) emerging from the pile of dust, chips and curls on my bench and around my ankles. Started from a blank, no pre-inletting, using a GM swamped .54 x 44" lg. and Chambers early Germanic lock.

edited: I first said it was RCA-19, but that was last year. This is like RCA-18.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:19:53 AM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 08:56:55 PM »
I am trying to remove the breechplug on a barrel so I can check to make sure it is properly breeched and then inlet it. So far I have been "working" on that little process for several weeks - first the wrench I had turned out to be unsuitable (swiveling jaws that couldn't be made to stay parallel), so I had get a new one, then the wood shims turned out to be too soft, so I am filing out some brass replacements. Infuriating that such a simple, basic job is so very difficult.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline PPatch

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:45 PM »

Draw filing a .45 caliber Colerain "A" weight swamped barrel for a mountain rifle I am building for my son, his deer rifle. Shop is in an unusual state of clean (for me...). Worked at installing butt plate this morning but just didn't "feel" it so I switched to filing, didn't feel that either so I quit after completing one flat. I may be coming down with a cold. darn...

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:58 PM »
My current project is building 3 rifles simultaneously and trying to combine common operations to make them all finish at the same time, while saving time in the process.  Yesterday, I installed 3 buttplates.

Today, I'm cutting off the precast tang sight bosses and welding up the spring holes underneath them in preparation to start inletting the barrels.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 11:08:04 PM »
then the wood shims turned out to be too soft, so I am filing out some brass replacements. Infuriating that such a simple, basic job is so very difficult.

I made my barrel protectors by vice crushing a couple of four inch long 3/4" dia copper tubes - works. Remove a breech plug this morning using them between the vice teeth and barrel and an old old wrench with a black iron pipe as an extension. Picked that wrench up at a garage sale a few years ago.

dp
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:08:23 PM by PPatch »

galamb

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 11:10:51 PM »
Well, took away some of the clutter and my "ugly Ohio" is still there - it won't finish itself  :-\

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 11:22:50 PM »
PPatch, how does that work with a tapered barrel?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Meteorman

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 11:30:15 PM »

16ga. New England fowler from a cherry blank that Dunlaps had discounted at Dixon's last summer because of sapwood along the forearm.
Some strategic laying out of the pattern with the help of Mark Wheland, and all the sapwood is on the floor by the bandsaw now. :)
/mike millard

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 12:17:10 AM »
I find it easier to add a new bench than to clean off an existing one :D
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Frank

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 12:29:27 AM »
My bench is always messy. Got 3 flinters in the queue, York, Early Virginia, and a Rupp.

Online davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 07:53:39 AM »
Building bench:  Fence Post #2 nearing completion.

Engraving bench:  Working on patch box for Fence Post #2.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:50:00 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline PPatch

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 05:39:52 PM »
PPatch, how does that work with a tapered barrel?

Works fine - ALL of the barrels I have delt with were tapered in the sense they were all swamped.

dp

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
I am working on a Trade Gun Kit I got from Clay Smith.  I am putting it together for a buddy of mine.  It has been a fun project.  I have assembled two kits now and have learned that kits present their own challenges.  Even though trade guns are thought to be plain ro simple this one has some unique challenges.  The ramrod pipes and the brass wrapped aroung the nose are not pinned or riveted.  The are inlet into the barrel channel and the barrel holds them in place.  Also, I have never engraved much, but that is the next step on this project.  So this kit has provided a couple of opportunities to practice and learn new skills.  Mr. Smith has also been very helpful with questions I have had during the project.

My buddy wants me to grunge it up too, so it won't be bright for long. 

Coryjoe

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 07:54:09 PM »
Might as well add another fowler. English hardware, Richardson style 16 bore barrel, Bob Roller Twigg lock. Slowly finishing this for myself. Had it ready for my son-in-law to hunt with it in the white and sprayed a sealer on the wood to keep from getting dirt embedded in wood. Ended up we couldn't hunt while he was here so now I am scraping off the sealer and also slimming down the forearm. Slow this time of year with all the things I have going on! Maybe finish it after I get taxes done!

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 10:16:27 PM »
Just finished the third long barreled pistol and soon finished with the fourth. Only rust blueing the barrel left. The pictures are of third pistol. This years main project is going to be a left handed Beck style rifle, with a 44", cal.54 ,swamped rice barrel, grade 6 stock blank from Dunlap, siler lock. Barrel inlet by Fred Miller and brass from Keck. I got the parts 6 years ago for my 50th birthday. First gun parts I ever got. I bougth and read the "Gunsmith of Grenville county" and chickend out. It's been standing in the corner for 6 years , while I made pistols (7 finished so far) to aquire the need skills to hopefully not make a mess of it. Think I now know how to do a reasonable job from the muzzel to the end of the lock plates. But the buttstock still gives me the willys. Only rifles I've handel are cheap spanish rip offs.

Best regards
Rolf

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:26:10 PM by Rolf »

LehighBrad

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2014, 11:25:28 PM »
First pistol from a blank is currently on my workbench. Got the barrel channel done and barrel inletted.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2014, 03:38:43 AM »
Rolf,

From the look of that pistol, you are more than ready to tackle that rifle.  Go ahead and rough it out and work on the parts that you are comfortable with.  Before you know it, you'll have it all done and wonder what all the fuss was about.  That pistol looks really great!

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2014, 07:48:55 AM »
Started this as #3, from the blank. that was in '07/'08, cannot move on to other projects till its finished or it'll never be finished.

So many built in problems, shoulda made tooth picks outa this.

Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
My wife and I decided to downsize, and put up our last stop on some land I owned. Probably won't get back to making guns for another month or so. A lot of work, frustration, and aggravation, but keeping my eye on the prize, its going to be well worth all of it!!! I even have a real view now! Had a fox come to visit this morning and a big beautiful mink doing a recon, strolled through last week.

I always enjoy looking at other peoples digs, thought I'd share mine.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline flehto

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 07:39:53 PM »
You've got a veritable "fur farm"....get the traps out.  Sorry to see that your vise is empty of builds....always enjoy viewing your "exquisite work"......Fred
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:40:53 PM by flehto »