Author Topic: Off-shoot from "A Question - Beck Related" topic  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Off-shoot from "A Question - Beck Related" topic
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »
Interesting that the underlugs don't seem to be slotted to allow for expansion or contraction of the forearm.

I didn't want to take the Beck thread off on a tangent but Elnathan's comment reminded me of this. In regards to slotted underlugs/tennons I have yet to see any on any of the originals that I have handled. Mostly plain southern guns but a few higher grade ones. The only slots I have seen were where keys/draw loops were used.

How often are slotted underlugs/tennons (e/w cross pins) seen on originals that you have handled?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline RAT

Re: Off-shoot from "A Question - Beck Related" topic
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »
I haven't had the opportunity to handle many originals... but in every photo I've ever seen of an original barrel out of the stock (where the barrel was pinned) there is a simple drilled hole in the lug. I've never seen a photo of an original lug that was slotted for pins.
Bob

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:24:29 AM »
I agree. All I've ever seen are round holes drilled for pins.
I'm sure there will be exceptions.

I think the elongated hole for pins is a modern day thing.

John
John Robbins

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:44:05 AM »
I haven't had the opportunity to handle many originals... but in every photo I've ever seen of an original barrel out of the stock (where the barrel was pinned) there is a simple drilled hole in the lug. I've never seen a photo of an original lug that was slotted for pins.
Maybe they shot 'more shots' in a lifetime, i.e., a shot or a few every day, than we typically do ... but 'less per session' ... ?

In that way, they may have never noticed issues from constricted expansion.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !