Author Topic: Barrel  (Read 4047 times)

Online snapper

Barrel
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »
What current barrel makers use something other than 12L14 steel?  I am looking for something in .54 cal for a flintlock, and if I have a choice I will go with a better quality steel than 12L14.

I am not looking at or wanting to start a urinary projector contest on barrel steel.  So please save your efforts on the great merits of 12L14 barrels, I am not interested.

The barrel makers that are on this list, if provided a customer blank would you profile and rifle it?  Can you get from your suppliers a better gun barrel steel blank if a customer request it?

Thanks

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 11:37:01 PM »
Art,
Ed Rayl in Gassaway,WV makes his barrels from 8620.This is a much stronger material than 12L14 and while not certified for gun barrels,it is more than adequate for black powder rifles including the long range type.
I don't know what Jim McLemore's status is right now.He made barrels from 4150 certified gun barrel steel but his wife's health problems have curtailed his shop work for a long time now.

Bob Roller

galamb

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:37:57 PM »
Green Mountain uses 1137 but don't remember ever seeing where they do custom work - kinda pre-packaged, take it or leave it.

Rice builds one specific barrel with 4140 Chrome Moly steel, 1" or larger ATF 45 cal only  - he may take a custom order but suspect the price would be significant.

Online snapper

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:43:26 PM »
is GM back in the ML barrel business?

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

galamb

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
Sort of - they have cut down their offerings but they have recently shipped.

Both Track and MBS have a number of GM barrels back in stock. I haven't seen any of their swamped barrels listed and it looks like most calibers are now only available in 42" length, but they are back on the market.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 12:41:51 AM »
Oregon Barrel Co.  will make you a bbl. in hi-test steel up to 4 bore I think X 35" Any dia. any twist.   Get 'em @1-541-741-4118 PST.  Joe William's bought the old Sharon bbl.co. equip. And is a good person to deal with & wait time is USUALLY not too long--3 months or so.    ...Tom