Author Topic: An Iowa Find  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Levy

An Iowa Find
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »
When I saw this on page 51 of the new issue of Muzzle Blasts, I thought it was probably a Southern Mtn Rifle or possibly re-stocked parts.  What do you think? 
James Levy

eddillon

Re: An Iowa Find
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »
What did you see?  Hilary coming to Iowa?       :D
No picture or description.

Offline Levy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:43:02 AM »
I apologize for no pictures, but I'm referring to an article in Muzzle Blasts magazine that just came out and I figured that a lot of the folks on the ALR forum were also NMLRA members.  The percussion half-stock  rifle referred to in the article has a forged butt plate and trigger guard that appear to me to be typical Southern Mtn. Rifle in style.  I just wondered If anyone else had seen the article and what they thought of the rifle.  The author of the article didn't seem to consider that it might have originated in the southeast.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline whitebear

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
 ??? pictures  ???
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »
Inside joke for those of us that don't get Muzzle Blasts.  Guess there's a lesson in that.
I've been wanting to subscribe anyway.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 03:39:14 AM »
  Looks like a southern rifle that has been cut back to a half-stock. Definitely not a plains rifle.
                          Dan

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »
I agree, that it is a late southern mountain rifle, that has had the forearm shortened to half stock length. The triggerguard , buttplate, and rear entry pipe, are all very southern in design, as is the stock architecture. Interesting to see such a rifle with a back action lock.

Hungry Horse

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
Guess it's about time for me to subscribe again.  I'll google for the particulars unless someone out there has the info handy.