Author Topic: Dental Tools as Chisels?  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Bill-52

Dental Tools as Chisels?
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:42:11 AM »
 I have a number of old dental tools, acquired years ago.  Some of the spatula shaped tools work well for scrapers.  I'm wondering about reshaping some of the pointed tools for small chisels.  I have no idea what steel is used for these -- most are marked India or Pakistan, not a good sign, i suspect.  All the tools do have some spring  to them but one pick I ground for a chisel seems very soft.

Anyone have any experience reusing dental tools, just for woodworking?

Thanks,
Bill

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Dental Tools as Chisels?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:10:22 AM »
I have used some dental tools as small chisels and cleanup scrapers.  They're supposed to be stainless, but the ones I used were quite hard, and eventually I snapped them all.  They worked very well while they lasted, I could have probably tempered them a smidge softer and might still be using them.  See if hardening the soft ones will toughen them up. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:43:37 AM »
I've made a number of mini chisels out of dental tools, and I'm quite pleased with them.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:56:51 AM »
I've used them. The ones I got from my dentist are far better than the flea market variety.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »
Harbor Freight has sets of Chinese needle files can be bought for little money
that can easily be altered into miniature chisels for wood working.

Bob Roller

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »
Bill, you're right if it says India or Pakistan it' not a good sign.   As someone has already pointed out those dental tools aren't the ones your dentist uses.  There're the cheap flea market ones.  They're good for getting the crud out of crevices when you clean your guns but not for much more.   Someone else mentioned Harbor Freight, they have a set of chisels that are almost too cheap to pass up.  (I built my first three rifles with them because I couldn't afford much more).  They're soft, but sharpen up quickly.  Just remember you get what you pay for.  Since then I keep an eye out at garage sale and flea markets for carving tools from USA (the older ones), England, France, and Sweden.  They usually a good bet for quality. I've even started asking for the Pfeil chisels from Sweden (they're very hard and hold a razor edge) for my birthday and Christmas.  They're more expensive, but remember, -you get what you pay for.   The main question to go the extra bucks for me was this; are you only going to build one or two rifles or do you feel gun building is calling you?

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:25:51 AM »
Bill, you're right if it says India or Pakistan it' not a good sign.   As someone has already pointed out those dental tools aren't the ones your dentist uses.  There're the cheap flea market ones.  They're good for getting the crud out of crevices when you clean your guns but not for much more.   Someone else mentioned Harbor Freight, they have a set of chisels that are almost too cheap to pass up.  (I built my first three rifles with them because I couldn't afford much more).  They're soft, but sharpen up quickly.  Just remember you get what you pay for.  Since then I keep an eye out at garage sale and flea markets for carving tools from USA (the older ones), England, France, and Sweden.  They usually a good bet for quality. I've even started asking for the Pfeil chisels from Sweden (they're very hard and hold a razor edge) for my birthday and Christmas.  They're more expensive, but remember, -you get what you pay for.   The main question to go the extra bucks for me was this; are you only going to build one or two rifles or do you feel gun building is calling you?

This one? http://www.harborfreight.com/11-piece-wood-carving-set-60655.html  I've got two of those sets, and they work fine, just have to sharpen a little more often/carefully; even Chinese steel is harder than wood, probably roughly "period correct" :).  Anyway, it isn't like one is out a lot of money until you find something better (which there certainly are, both new and vintage), and if you find some pieces are more useful than others, you can upgrade those first and not waste money on variants you don't use much! 

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:17:58 PM »
BGF,
That's the set!  And they're still only 6 bucks!  As long as you aren't expecting top quality they'll get the job done until you can afford something better.  Never thought about them being closer to period correct but I bet you're right.