Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 2479 times)

Bear62

Need some help
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:05:13 AM »
I need some help in identifying this rifle. A friend has it and is interested in selling it. I think it may be some kind of "Ohio" rifle but I'm not sure. Hope the pictures help some. http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/thec525/library/

galamb

Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:43:23 AM »
I'm not an expert in anything, much less identifying rifles.

I do however, have a huge collection of pics of Ohio rifles and this doesn't look like what I would expect of a "typical" Ohio (ok, none are typical).

That cheek piece and the side plate would look much more at home on a Southern Tennessee rifle, but the trigger guard and cap box may not be typical from that area.

Those would look more at home on an Ohio or something from "points west".

Likewise, the butt plate does look Ohio'ish.

Is there no markings on the barrel or lock??

Bear62

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:51 AM »
Yes, there are markings on the barrel, but they are very faint and there is a good patina on the barrel that I would not like to mess up if at all possible. I suppose a good strong magnifying glass and a bright light along with some eyes that are better then mine would be able to make out what is on the barrel. I do know it looks stamped and not done by hand.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
The style of the small side plate may look "Ohio-ish" but was also used on the south side of Ohio River...such as on Michael Sells' rifles, for example although I doubt this is his work. Any chance we can see a better picture of the tang, plus the remnants of the barrel signature, both of which are important details in identifying or attributing this rifle? If the gun has a longer two screw tang, it may well be from below the Ohio River. If your friend wants to truly identify this gun before selling, a few better pictures would really help the situation. The straight butt lines with pointed, extended toe and exaggerated "heel" might suggest a KY gun made along the Ohio River but a little closer to Louisville. Shelby Gallien