Author Topic: Need Info Indiana Gunsmith & Barrel Maker  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Need Info Indiana Gunsmith & Barrel Maker
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »
I recently took apart a late percussion halfstock squirrel rifle and found some interesting details stamped on the barrels under flat.  The rifle is a rather plain plains type small bore of approx 30-32 caliber. It also has me a bit confused in the fact that it has a rather wide 15\16's or so barrel that is approx. 32 inches long. ( I haven't taken exact measurements yet) What stumps me is the barrel is very light in weight! Not expected for such a small caliber of this dimension.       The rifle is maker stamped on the top flat: MAX G. LADE FORT WAYNE IND.  On the barrels bottom flat near the breech is stamped KRICK with a first name initiail that is not legable. I assume this to be the barrel maker.  The nice surprise was also found on the bottom flat: 22 DEC 75.   A rifle with a lot of information including it's "birthday".     I would sure appreciate any information about this gunsmith, LADE and the barrel maker KRICK.     Thanks!               
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:21:57 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Need Info Indiana Gunsmith & Barrel Maker
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:23:34 PM »

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:25:02 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:26:13 PM »

Joel Hall

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 10:14:53 PM »
I'm not certain this will be of much help, but I have an A. Lamb, Jamestown percussion rifle with a 47 1/2" barrel that has KRICK stamped under the breech (oriented the opposite of yours).  I can't see the first initial at all.  The barrel is approximately .40 cal. and a half stock with German silver  furniture. It is missing the breech plug, lock and side plate.  There is a bolster forged onto the barrel for the nipple seat.  The barrel is about 15/16" across the flats.  I bought it a couple of years ago from a man in Alaska.  I think A. Lamb worked in the middle 1800's and maybe a little later.

James Levy

James Levy

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:43:48 PM »
Joel,
From Sellers first book, Asaac Krick was in Wyomissing Creek, Pa. as a barrel maker. No date.
Max G Lade, Fort Wayne, 1882/1885.

John

John Robbins

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:57:33 PM »
KRICK, ISAAC - Made gun barrels at Schnader's Gun Factory as late as 1906. He was one of the last gunmakers to produce finished rifle barrels (1880's-1906).

http://www.mohntonpa.com/history/gunmakers.html

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:14 AM »
Joel,

What a great find -- names and dates!  Nothing in my library on Lade or Krick, beyond what is already here.  However, I seem to recall that Patrick Hornberger did (is doing?) some research on Wyomissing Creek barrel makers.  Perhaps he can provide more information on Krick.

Bill

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:44:01 AM »
Joel,

In case you haven't seen this on the Wyomissing Creek barrel makers:

http://www.mohntonpa.com/history/gunmakers.html

Bill

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 03:46:10 AM »
Joel, I lived in Ft. Wayne for many years and went through all the local old directories back in 1996-97. This is what I found on the two Lade brothers in Ft. Wayne.

Source: "1876 Indiana Historical Atlas" - G. Lade and Max Lade were from Germany and arrived in Indiana 1872; they may have been in America earlier than when they arrived in Ft. Wayne, IN.
     Lade, G. - Allen Co., IN, Ft. Wayne -   Gunsmith (p. 333)
     Lade, Max - Allen Co., IN, Ft. Wayne - Engraver  (p.333)
     G. Lade & Bro., "Gunsmiths & Engravers, Importers and Dealers in Sporting Materials generally." This advertisement is found under "Allen
           County, Ft. Wayne, p.415
They do not appear in any "Ft. Wayne City Directory" until the 1874-1875 directory by Polk, Murphy & Co. Listed under "Gunsmith" in the 1874-1875 Ft. Wayne City Directory is the following entry:
    Gustoff Lade, 63 E. Main, boards 91 Washington St.
Fort Wayne City Directory 1875-1876, by R. L. Polk & Co. has the following listing under "Gunsmiths":
    Gustave Lade & Bro. (Gustave and Max), gunsmiths, S.W. Corner of Columbia and Clinton Streets.
Fort Wayne City Directory 1876-1877, by Edmonson, under "Gunsmiths":
    Gustave G. Lade, Gunsmith, Engraver and Liquor Dealer, 26 E. Columbia Street, residence same.
    Max G. Lade, Gunsmith, 36 Clinton, corner Columbia, residence at 73 Harrison Street.
Fort Wayne City Directory 1877, by R. L. Polk & Co., under "Guns, Pistols, Etc":
    Max G. Lade, Gun & Locksmith and Engraver, and dealer in guns, etc. 58 E. Main, same residence.
Fort Wayne Business Directory 1880, has following listing:
    Max. G. Lade, 58 E. Main Street, arrived in 1874 from Germany, Importer Wholesale & Retail, Dealers in Breech & Muzzle Loading Guns, Revolvers, Fishing Tackle and Ammunition.

That is the total extent of material on Max and Gustave Lade, gunsmiths of Ft. Wayne, IN that I was able to locate in local records through 1880...and I did a pretty through search for gunsmiths. Max G. Lade was recorded as a gunsmith in local directories until 1885...don't know if he went into an other line of work, died, or moved after that date. Hope this helps with your rifle. I will mention your rifle to my friend, Jeff Jaeger, who is working on a reference book on Indiana gunmakers. He may want to contact you for additional information on your rifle after he learns about the name, city, and date all together on your gun...since that type of "documentation" makes it a useful and/or valuable piece for research purposes.  Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:47:48 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 03:48:58 AM »
Thank you everyone for your help with these two gun guys! I enjoyed the site with all of the Wyomissing Creek barrel smiths and have added it to my list of references. Doing a bit of internet sleuthing I came across this for my gunsmith from Fort Wayne. Kind of sad he only lived for 37 years.   http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Lade&GSfn=Max&GSmn=G&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=17&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=63552777&df=all&    Wow Shelby! You posted your info as I was writing this. Very much appreciated!  Joel
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:56:03 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline eastwind

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:12:59 PM »
Major, et al.
Glad to see an interest in the Wyomissing Creek, Berks County gun/barrel makers. The website "Mohnton "took their information from a booklet published by a local school teacher for the 1776 Bicentennial where his class identified the gunmakers along the Creek At its best 28-30 factories existed along the creek employing close to 100 craftsmen--forgers, filers, finishers, etc. Some of their buildings still stand, including one of Schnaders factories.
I believe Isaac Krick worked independently as well as with Schnader--a common situation with many workers. He is shown working as gunsmith at age 24 as early as 1860 and ending in the mid- 1880s working in a hat factory-typical transition of many in the late 1800s when gunmaking slowed to a trickle-particularly for wrought iron barrels as steel took over. The fact that Kricks name is the only name on the barrel(so it appears) means Krick most likely built the barrel independent of Schnader, as in most cases I've seen both factory and the primary forger are seen on the bottom of the barrel. If only one name it seems he was the maker when not working for a factory.
The Mohnton website and its source from the booklet (he should have credited the source) are subject to minor mistakes, like so many high school projects, but it was a grate project which has led to the location of pewter signs along the  creek identifying the gunsmiths. The area was a major unmaking center from the 1760 beginning with the Pannabeckers until after the Civil War. Note that even John Shreit, and William Graef owned land along the creek--but I've never been able to establish exactly why.
Also note that my GG Grandfather, Cyrus was a gunbarrel  finisher (I was born in the house right next door to William Pannabecker) 50 yards from the Creek so naturally I have a particular interest in the area.

Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger