Author Topic: Kentucky Rifle  (Read 11672 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Kentucky Rifle
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:57:12 PM »
I think their estimate may be hopeful. But I do like the little feller cradling a carbine, and a Tomahawk in his right. Think that is a  powder horn hanging from his shoulder.

http://louisjdianni.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=58300&weid=35649&weiid=14217957&archive=n&keyword=kentucky+rifle&lso=lotnumasc&pagenum=1&lang=En#images
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:04:42 AM by Avlrc »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Kentucky Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:43:09 AM »
Notice the Walnut description of the curly maple stock?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:54:07 AM »
I was just going to comment on that, I think it's a pretty nice rifle.
Buck

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:18:43 AM »
My take on this rifle has to do with the dog. Whats worse than finding a dog inlayed on your longrifle?  A half a dog!   ;D
Joel Hall

Offline homerifle

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:54:13 AM »
Avlrc, My taste in rifles seem to be pretty much in line with yours over the years. I like the little feller cradling the carbine also. The estimate seems a little strong especially with the high buyers premium tacked on to it.

Offline Buck

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:12:02 AM »
Joel,
The back half I would say!

oakridge

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 04:39:40 AM »
That dog is coming out from under the buttplate. He should have put the dog's rear end on the other side.  Cool rifle.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »
This rifle gives me inspiration for my current building project. As I posted over in the building forum I wanted to make a rifle pin cushioned with lots of inlays! Maybe I will inlay the dog on the inside floor of the patchbox compartment. Next time the subject of "whats in your patchbox" comes around, I'll answer with a pit bull! Thank you Avirc for bringing this neat rifle to our attention.
Joel Hall

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:33 PM »
This rifle gives me inspiration for my current building project. As I posted over in the building forum I wanted to make a rifle pin cushioned with lots of inlays! Maybe I will inlay the dog on the inside floor of the patchbox compartment. Next time the subject of "whats in your patchbox" comes around, I'll answer with a pit bull! Thank you Avirc for bringing this neat rifle to our attention.

That's a great idea!

Offline rbs

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:34:37 PM »
Quite a surprise to see the gun with the Indian with the raised hawk that is coming up for auction as I have one that is very much like it, most likely the same unidentified maker. Does anyone know identity of maker or probable area where it was made? I would guess that auction probably correcr in estimating gun made in 1830's. Perhaps made in Ohio?

I found my rifle at KRA annual meeting.

Mine differs in that it has virtually the same Indian toward butt with raised hawk, carbine and powder horn but also has another very similar Indian seated in a canoe with his hawk raised toward standing Indian on shore to his right. In the canoe with the seated Indian is a dog (not 1/2 a dog). The Indian and dog in canoe are located on check piece so at same level as Indian to right on shore. Both guns have same lock, patchbox and otherwise quite similar otherwise except barrel on mine is a bit shorter and no Eagle inlay on check piece. The Indians are, insofar as I have seen, quite unusual on longrifles and rather interesting and attractive pieces of folk art.

If anyone interested, I will try and post photo of my rifle provided that I can figure out how to use my wife's iphone to take photos and transer the same onto my computer.

Offline Habu

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
Those sound like interesting inlays, I'd love to see pics.  If nothing else, shoot the pics and email them to me--I'll get them posted for you. 

After the past few years, I'll admit I've given some consideration to putting my dogs on a rifle, but I was thinking of carving.  I built a rifle once that had a gopher carved inside the patchbox, so it wouldn't be the first time I did something weird like that. 

Offline Loudy

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
Interesting rifle.  I wonder if the half-dog inlay might be covering up some sort of flaw in stock wood or other building mistake?  I speculate the maker to be Zach Albright or one of the other Albright gunsmiths.  In one of my books (don't remember which) there is a photo of a similar signed rifle.  I'll dig up the reference. 

RBS,
I for one would sure like to see photos of your rifle.   

Mark Loudenslager

Offline sse

• Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 05:58:15 AM »
picture's worth a thousand words...

eddillon

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »
Some inlays and engraving can be bizarre.  Once had an N. Kendall under hammer that had a brass patchbox.  Engraved on the patchbox was a guy in a top hat swinging a dog around by the hind legs!

Offline Buck

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 07:56:23 PM »
What is that under the eagle a cornucopia? Certainly a lot of Masonic décor also, I like it.
Buck
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:57:42 PM by Buck »

Offline rbs

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 01:47:53 AM »
I now have some photos of the rifle with Indians/Hawks/Dog and will post photos as soon as I figure out how to do so. I may get it faster if someone will tell me how. Thanks.

Offline Rich N.

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 05:31:14 AM »
Did anyone hear what the final auction price of this rifle was.  I wonder how that 21% buyer's premium impacted the price.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
Is the carbine in the inlay a matchlock?  Looks like the curve of the cock of a matchlock.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »
rbs, Here is a link to the tutorial on posting pictures. If you have any questions or difficulties let me know and I will gladly help you.  I look forward to seeing your pictures.....Joel    http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0
Joel Hall

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »
Here is a couple pics of RBS's rifle.

Offline Buck

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 06:21:43 PM »
Wow, nice rifle thanks for posting.
Buck

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 08:25:20 PM »
Very nice rifle rbs! I hope Loudy will chime in with more information on Zack Albright the possible maker? Also would like to know where these were made.
Joel Hall

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 08:36:20 PM »
The rifle reminds me of some Ohio Rifles. I like the theme of the Indians and the dog. Is neat how the maker conformed the canoe around the cheek piece. He even made the bottom of the cheek piece unusually long to fit the canoe. This indicates, these inlays were not a after thought, but planned from the beginning.  This is a long shot, but it would be pretty neat, if the maker was telling a story about these Indians and their dog, continuing it with each rifle he made. Oh no, there I go again.

The Indians do look Southeastern, maybe even Florida.

Thanks RBS, for sharing this rifle with us!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:52:27 PM by Avlrc »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:16 PM »
To me those lacy type long patchboxes always remind me of the guns coming out of the Milton\Wilkes Barr PA area where the Baums and several others (that don't come to mind) worked. A lot of similar things did catch on and headed west into Ohio though.
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »
I'm sure I've seen a 3rd rifle with this inlay of a man with raised hawk.  Wish I could remember where.
Maybe armchair gunshow?  I'll check it.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.