Author Topic: Hudson Valley Fowler found in England  (Read 8926 times)

Offline debnal

Hudson Valley Fowler found in England
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »
I got this from an auction in the UK. Don't know how it got there but maybe was brought back after one of the colonial wars. It is in outstanding original condition. Original flint, original length, original surfaces, even an original ramrod. Quaint period repair to a missing ramrod pipe at the muzzle. Notice how the upper forestock molding terminates just in front of the rear ramrod pipe in a little decorative flourish. Barrel is 61 inches, 77 inches overall. Bold high relief carving. Resurfaced frizzen, rear sight, 2.6 inch butt. Surprisingly, it points extremely well. In the picture of the guns on the wall, the third gun down has a 55 inch barrel, to give you some scale. Just gotta love there old looooong guns.
Al

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Hudson Valley Fowler found in England
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:04:09 PM »
Oooh that's purty.  Can I have it, can I, huh? ;D
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:06:05 AM »
That is an awesome fowler. Hudson Valley Fowlers are just wonderful. Congratulations on the acquisition.

Offline homerifle

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 04:22:23 AM »
Its a very nice piece. "Great find", thanks for sharing!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:16:41 AM »
debnal, is there a "Grand Slam" of American Fowlers, you may have it , or at least getting close. There is Hudson Valley, Kentucky Fowler, New England Fowler. What other  American Fowler classifications  are they?

Offline debnal

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 05:22:12 AM »
The one fowler type that I have been searching for for many years is; the southern colonial fowler. There are plenty of first hand accounts of long fowlers being made in the southern colonies but, as of yet, there are no identified ones form that  area. That would complete the "grand slam", as you put it.
Al

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
Hey Al, you should saw a foot or so off the barrel so it fits the wall better! ;D  Seriously though, that is a very nice gun!
Frank

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
A beautiful Hudson Valley Looooong fowler Al!  You had to go all the way to England to find such a nice one. Once upon a time I would find worthy 18th century arms from Michael Long LTD out of Nottingham. Mostly English and European stuff.   I am very happy to see this one get back home!
Joel Hall

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »
Ah, yes...  I was eyeing this piece at auction.  Wasn't it part of an East Coast collection that was just sold in England?  Thanks for all the photos. 

Jim

Offline debnal

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
Jim,
You may be right. The auction would not tell me anything about the provenance on the piece. It was very interesting. The auction description and pictures were excellent and the packing company packed it superbly. But it took 42 days to get to me even though I paid for express shipping! It was $#*! waiting for it to arrive. I reminded them that the Mayflower only took 65 days to cross the Atlantic and that was in 1620!
Al

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 08:35:05 PM »
Debnal,

The auction catalog index indicates this lot came from the Morton and Angela Stern collections.  A quick google search seems to point to them being from New York.   Check it out.  Always good to know where something came from...

Jim

Offline debnal

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »
Jim,
Never heard of them. Have you? I sure would like to see what they might have left to sell.
Al

Offline DaveM

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 01:12:30 AM »
I'm amazed at the length of that barrel!  and it still has the forestock to the muzzle!  Great piece.  I don't know much about these as I see  few come up for sale but they are worthy of study that's for sure.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 01:25:08 AM »
Jim,
Never heard of them. Have you? I sure would like to see what they might have left to sell.
Al

Nope, don't know anything about them...

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 04:50:44 AM »
I should also say that's a beautiful gun.  These guns sure do maintain the feel of late 17th century baroque work.  Big, strong and bold.  Great stuff.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
Outstanding find.
Most likely a battlefield pickup by some officer.
Or maybe not.
The great things about the guns and rifles that went to England is that many are in their original condition.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »
Outstanding find.
Most likely a battlefield pickup by some officer.
Or maybe not.
The great things about the guns and rifles that went to England is that many are in their original condition.

Dan

Auction house information seems to indicate this was part of an East coast (New York state) collection that was recently shipped and sold in London.

Offline gibster

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
Why would someone send a collection of early American firearms to London to sell them at auction.  Would they bring more money in London than they would here?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 09:14:51 PM »
The vast majority of the collection comprised of European Arms and Armor.  This was one of the few American pieces in the lots listed as part of their collection.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »
Makes sense that Euro arms would sell for more over there than what they might fetch here. The Europeans have a strong presence at our best and biggest gun shows, usually. Met a couple of fellows from Russia at last the Vegas Show who purchased a fancy, matched set of Italian shaphaunce pistol barrels. They were looking for any other things that they could find. It may that to some untrained eyes, a Hudson Valley gun would be more Euro than American, though that is far away from the reality of the gun itself. And, that may be why it was in the collection, or the folks just wanted one really good local piece.
Truly a great find Al, and we are all glad that you were able to repatriate the 'old lady'. Thank you for introducing her around. 
Dick

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 05:25:50 PM »
The epitome of beauty and grace. I love these things.

Regards   Frank