Author Topic: Sanford P Poole Breckinridge County Kentucky  (Read 2896 times)

doggoneit

Sanford P Poole Breckinridge County Kentucky
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:14:38 PM »
I have a 36 caliber squirrel rifle made by Poole who was some relation.  Has been in family for years,  Beautiful gun but missing the lock.  Any idea where I could find one, or a good place to look.

Thanks

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Sanford P Poole Breckinridge County Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 09:24:42 PM »
Assuming percussion?  It's likely going to take some modification of a similar lock.
You probably won't find one to drop in the hole and go shooting.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »
Send photos of gun, and the lock mortise, and you will get the best advice from the resident experts. You may get lucky and find that someone here has the proper lock for it.
Dick

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47:25 AM »
I have two Pool rifles, an earlier fullstock by Stephen P. Pool, and a nicely inlaid halfstock by his son, Sanford P. Pool...and I would greatly enjoy seeing yours. I "gather" original lock plates and may have one that fits your rifle. Some of them are not complete locks, but I always prefer to use an original plate on an original gun when a lock is replaced...and if a complete lock of the correct size and geometry can't be found, I will have an original lock plate rebuilt, so the outside/surface is still "of the period."

There are three (3) Pool rifles that are well illustrated in vol. I of the recently released book, "Kentucky Gunmakers 1775-1900," plus useful biographical information on the family members that built guns in vol. 2 with 1,100+ biographies of early Kentucky gunsmiths. The 3 illustrated rifles include: an early gun by Stephen with fine iron work and some interesting carved details, a later flint gun by Stephen with his outstanding filed iron work, and a neat little halfstock by Sanford...almost the spitting image of the halfstock that I have, except that mine has a good deal of German silver inlay work. If you have any interest in the book, there is information on this site under the "To classified forums" section, under "New books." Hope you can post pictures of your rifle. Both father and son did excellent work, the elder did fine iron mountings. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:54:05 AM by Tanselman »

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 05:34:30 AM »
I can attest to the quality of Tanselman's photographs, particularly 7-21a thru 7-21f, of that
S. P. Pool rifle. So far as I know the lockplate is original, as converted from flint. I'd say it is close to .45 calibre, not .38.

by the way, "J. Kelly" means Jim Kelly, not Jack Kelly.