Author Topic: Tape on a gunstock  (Read 3842 times)

Offline whitebear

Tape on a gunstock
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:56:40 AM »
Recently I picked up a rifle that I started some time ago intending to do some work on it.  I had everything marked out where I wanted it to go on the fore end and the marks didn't look right.  After much consideration I decided to erase the marks and start over.
I marked it out and started again and suddenly here is a light mark, is this just a light mark or is it a mark that didn't get erased completely.

After pondering this problem for a few minutes I went to the medicine cabinet and got a role of wide white adhesive tape and ran a strip down the stock even with the top of the barrel channel.  Then I preceded to mark off the positions again.  When I got through if it was what I wanted I could just leave it on through the inletting and drilling stages, if not I could rip it off and put on a new piece of tape and start over without all the shadows of previous marks.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

pushboater

Re: Tape on a gunstock
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:20:42 AM »
I cover the areas I'm going to carve with masking tape. I then draw out my design on the tape and plunge cut right through the tape following my design. It's easy to erase and redraw your design and the chisels seem to stay on track when you're following your design giving me what I feel is more control. Works for me anyway.

Capt. David

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »
I keep blue masking tarp by my bench at all times. Wonderful stuff, and it doesn't leave residue, or dry in place like traditional masking tape.
In His grip,

Dane

mattdog

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
"I keep blue masking tarp by my bench at all times. Wonderful stuff, and it doesn't leave residue, or dry in place like traditional masking tape."

Yup,  use the blue stuff too.  Works great for the reasons you mention and is super cheap and comes in 1 1/2" wide rolls.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:16:17 PM »
MOST USED TOOL ON MY BENCH  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
As a pup when learning to hand cut dovetails a geezer taught me to glue white paper to the darker woods to make layout lines visible. Marking knife lines pop. I thought it an unnecessary step until my old eyes couldn't find lights bright enough. Use a slightly thinned white glue. The paper scrapes/sands off easily.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Habu

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:39:37 AM »
I don't carve enough, so sometimes I'll lay out the carving and cover it with clear plastic tape.  Then I can remove the tape and transfer the design to another piece of wood to practice the carving.  Mostly, it is a "warm-up" exercise, but it also helps me find and plan for problems that may come up (as in, "if I make this cut first, that is going to chip out," etc).

My carving and inletting has greatly improved since I started forcing myself to practice more. 

Offline whitebear

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 05:12:38 AM »
I don't carve enough, so sometimes I'll lay out the carving and cover it with clear plastic tape.  Then I can remove the tape and transfer the design to another piece of wood to practice the carving.  Mostly, it is a "warm-up" exercise, but it also helps me find and plan for problems that may come up (as in, "if I make this cut first, that is going to chip out," etc).

My carving and inletting has greatly improved since I started forcing myself to practice more. 

Good idea I'll have to try that.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot