Author Topic: VA rifle  (Read 32232 times)

Offline chris laubach

• Marietta, Pa
Re: VA rifle
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2008, 03:48:51 AM »
Another fantastic rifle, Bill

Chris Laubach

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2008, 06:48:36 AM »
Ian's obviously taken my lead and is hitting the Manhattans.

Guy, the Metzger rifle is one of those really great guns that no one has ever done that I know of. So little time.

Beauregard, I use an old 5 megapixel digital. State of the art at the time, but better stuff at half the price today. The trick is diffuse light. I do it on the driveway on days when I can't see my shadow. Overcast. Steady. Use a tripod which you can wheel around on two legs. Or just a stick. What your eye sees in terms of shadows and glare is what you get along the line of sight of the camera. This would make a good tutorial. Idiots guide to taking pictures. I'm the idiot.

J.D.

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2008, 08:32:29 AM »
Bill,
Did that nice early buttpiece come from Brad Emig too?
Thanks,
J.D.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2008, 08:38:22 AM »
 Bill,
   Your work amazes me! I like the way you put the "Shipman" school of thoughts into it. Pleasing to the eye! Thanks for posting.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »
great looking rifle bill.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2008, 04:24:26 PM »
  THAT is a beauty, Now I really wish I had had the time to stop by.

Tim C.

RWood

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »
It's all been said ...Fantastic. I do have one question and that is about the final on the patchbox. Your design or is there some historial link?

PINYONE

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2008, 09:58:28 PM »
Hello Gentlemen- Longhunters of Old- this rifle that Mr. Shipman built is absolutely fine, everything about it. I doubt that many of us will ever build such a rifle.I would love to own it. On the other hand they have been turning out rifles like this since 1963 at Colonial Williamsburg. Mr. Gusler down there raised the bar years ago and is not finished yet, I also read that this rifle put Mr. Shipman on the same plane as John Bivins, Monte Madirino, and Jack Haugh very kind comliment. If you look at the work in Three Centuries of Tradition of Super Star Carving- Engraving- High Refief Chiseling that these people did- such as the french Guns Monte built, the average longrifle builder has alot to prove. In Bivins own words Monte is the best Gunsmith in the last 300 years. My statemnet here is not to insult the work of Mr. Shipman at all but I would like to see something like Bivins and Monte did above standard longrifle building with the hand forged mounts, gold work, chiseling. After 38 years of building rifles my hat of off to the best!

J Shingler

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
"The trick is diffuse light. I do it on the driveway on days when I can't see my shadow. Overcast.  This would make a good tutorial. Idiots guide to taking pictures. I'm the idiot."

That is exactly how Shippers is taking pics for his new book as well. I for one would be really interested in that "idiots photography class"  ::)

J.D.

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2008, 07:49:43 AM »
I have used a white canvas wedge tent set up in the shade to create the same diffuse effect, though it didn't work quite as well as waiting for an overcast day. Throwing a dark tarp over the top of the tent might diffuse more light.

J Shingler

« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2008, 01:15:31 PM »
I can see where the wedge would work. I took a great picture one time of a couple in a marque. Came out great! The diffused light was what made it "jump".