Author Topic: The Kentucky Rifle Is it a utilitarian tool or artwork by Melchor and Newbern  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
The Kentucky Rifle Is it a utilitarian tool or artwork?
by James Melchor and Tim Newbern
www.ehcnc.org/decorative-arts/historic-trades/the-kentucky-rifle/

There are also some interesting articles in the "Decorative Arts" that I am sure many will enjoy.

Thanks to Jim and Tom for their Kentucky Rifle contribution to the the "Edenton Historic Commision".
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:02:29 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

oakridge

Dennis, Great article. Thanks for posting.

Offline lexington1

Wow, that's a great article!  :)

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
Wow!  Thank you

~Tony

Offline Majorjoel

Thanks Dennis!  Great article and some sweet longrifles pictured in full living color!
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
  Well the article is well written with the exception of the McArthur pistols which they describe as over under
double barrel pistols?  The photos don't reflect that.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Nicely done article!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
  Well the article is well written with the exception of the McArthur pistols which they describe as over under
double barrel pistols?  The photos don't reflect that.

The photo below should help with that.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JTR

• member 2
Thanks for posting that up Dennis! Great article!
John
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Apologies for scrutiny of article.  Never expected to see 2 bores within one octagon
barrel.  Makes these pistols even more extraordinary.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Added to the ALR Library: "Education and Original Research"
Hurricane

Kelhammer

Neat pistols!  It appears there is a revolving valve which exposes the lower vent.  I am guessing of course. Would you have to prime twice?  Or would there be a priming charge in this valve?