Author Topic: project .54  (Read 5151 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
project .54
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:41:00 AM »
preparing for another project ,while most parts are being prepared and gathered  , i keep the action that was drilled . Should i consider welding the holes or use the same ones.  ???
or will this make it to touchy
Denis

Offline KLMoors

Re: project .54
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:19:23 AM »
If I am understanding you, the lock you want to use is already drilled for the lock bolts.

If that is the case, I think I would wait till I had the parts in hand, the barrel inlet, and the ramrod hole drilled. Then I would align the lock and trigger guard where I want them to go on the stock and see if the holes can be used as is. My gut instinct is that you will probably end up having to weld them up because the location of these holes is pretty "touchy" and dependent on lots of variables.

For instance, the gun I am doing now has a very thin web under the barrel near the lock, AND it is one of Chamber's Early Germanic locks that can be hard to align "just right", AND these locks also have a very small area for the front lock bolt. So, set the lock where it looks architecturally right, and to keep the bolt from blocking the ramrod hole, I am moving the bolt up above the centerline of the lock to make all the parts play nice in that cramped area.

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:51:46 AM »
i just sent a memo To Jim Chambers to see if i can buy a plate for this model and maybe a new pan, I am not equip to weld and the last repair i HAD A PRO DO IT AND DID NOT USE THE RIGHT material even after explaining what i needed. The pan i could maybe just place a metal screw and silver solder that would never show
Denis

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:02:22 AM »
I wish I knew what kind of holes you're thinking about filling.

A very neat repair can be done by threading a short steel section into a threaded hole, and peening both ends, then filing it off flush. This can make a near invisible repair.

Tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:18:18 AM »
What Acer said + 2.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »
Frenchman, are you able to post a picture of the part?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
Chambers website lists their lock plates as available from $ 15.00 to $ 22.00 each , depending on the model.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »
May not be drilled and tapped. A lot of precision work in that case.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:10:42 PM »
I have had success doing just what Acer suggested. Repair disappeared with browning. Easy.
Gene

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 12:52:19 AM »
Ken here is a picture
 i am evaluating keeping or selling it when everything comes in and i will make measurements. It could be to small for my project . It will carry a .54 cal. I like the form or style of the stock in  a John Noll it has a flow to it that i like at least to my eyes. For the rest of the  art form i will see. If a dear cross on the other side. That means learning to scratch. :'(

the length of this one 4 3/4 x 7/8
Denis

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 02:24:54 AM »
Yup, that is what I thought you meant. Hmmmm, I am not sure if that lock would be right for that gun.  That is pretty small. Someone more familiar with his work might chime in on that.

Remember not to let the tail wag the dog in this type of situation. Considering all of the hours and cost of parts to build one of these guns, the price of a new lock is not really that much.

I've never tried Acer's idea of putting in a screw and peening it flat. I'm sure that will work great to fill the hole, but I wonder what will happen if the new hole partially overlaps the hole that has been filled that way. 

Any comment on that from you folks that have done it?

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 03:13:58 AM »
and yes
 i do think it could be to small, as you say all that time a few more dollars wont change that much
Denis

omark

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 05:42:35 AM »
Yup, that is what I thought you meant. Hmmmm, I am not sure if that lock would be right for that gun.  That is pretty small. Someone more familiar with his work might chime in on that.

Remember not to let the tail wag the dog in this type of situation. Considering all of the hours and cost of parts to build one of these guns, the price of a new lock is not really that much.

I've never tried Acer's idea of putting in a screw and peening it flat. I'm sure that will work great to fill the hole, but I wonder what will happen if the new hole partially overlaps the hole that has been filled that way. 

Any comment on that from you folks that have done it?
A little overlap won't hurt anything

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 05:44:54 AM »
Good deal. Thanks.