Author Topic: Patchbox before or after finish sanding?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Firelock

Patchbox before or after finish sanding?
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »
Do you inlet your patchbox before or after you do your finish sanding?

In the past I've done mine after sanding with 100 grit paper, then I did the finer grades of paper with the patchbox and any inlays in place?

But I'd like to know the best method.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: Patchbox before or after finish sanding?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
I usually do it after semi-finish sanding. It has to be sanded again after the PB is finished.

Sawatis

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:05:31 PM »
I typically don't like to do too much aggressive sanding on metals inletted in the wood as the swarf coming off can/will imbed in the wood giving off color/finish...  especially true with anything iron when using acid stains.  but sometimes you have no choice as with silver inlays and wire.
John

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:05:36 PM »
I inlet when I have the form final rasped to shape. This is with a fine rasp, not a coarse one. All the chew marks from the coarse rasp are gone. I inlet the box, shaping to the form as best I can while inletting. I bend a little more here or there as I inlet it deeper. When close, I file everything smooth as possible.

If it's a thin sheet box, I will then sand the box in place. Use an eraser to clean up the wood.

If it's a cast box, I usually remove it from the stock for sanding and polishing. While it's out., I like to scrape the stock at this point. If it leaves the box a little proud of the stock, that's ok.

Sometimes the box gets scratched during finishing the wood, so spot sand or burnish the scratches out. Steel wool does a nice burnish on brass.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.