Author Topic: Lewis and Clark Air Rifle  (Read 5727 times)

oldfox

Lewis and Clark Air Rifle
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
I received this link from a friend this AM and found it quite interesting:

This is the air rifle that Lewis and Clark took on their expedition and AMAZED
the Indians!  It takes 1500 strokes to pump this rifle to full pressure, after
which it could shoot more than 400 . 46 cal . round balls, each of which can
blast a clean hole through a 1 inch pine board at 100 yards.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/thread/1296928404

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Lewis and Clark Air Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
40 Shots is amazing on one fill. I can only get 10 shots with a modern made 50 cal. Air Rifle, filled with 3000 psi. And then only the first four have enough power for deer hunting.
I am sure this rifle must have really impressed the Indians. Most people even today never knew Lewis & Clark carried such a rifle with them. Bolk Antiques usually has a couple antique air rifles for sale.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:10:33 PM »
Oldfox; Sir, thanks for sharing this link with us. I enjoyed the shared information. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

oldfox

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
Your more than welcome AJ  :) 

VALongrifle

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
Good stuff...I think the original rifle is at the NRA museum here in Fairfax, VA...a really cool story.  Thx for posting...

Pat

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »
The discovery and authentication of this rifle is quite a tale. I recall reading that the air rifle was brought out and "fired" in demonstration for Natives along the way. No one was allowed aboard their large vessel so it might be assumed they possessed a large number of such rifles. The presumption of massive firepower may have played a role in the safety of The Corps.

Interesting that a breechloading magazine fed rifle that uses no powder is appearing on a site where certain ignition systems are not discussed even when done Over The Back Fence.

;D ;D ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:46:03 PM »
The Huntington (WV)Museum of Art has an air gun WITH a flintlock
attached to it.I know for a fact that it has been there for the last 62 years.

Bob Roller

Online Longknife

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 05:24:22 AM »
This gun was in the Beeman collection for many years and was not identified as the L&C air rifle until is was disassembled and inspected by Ernst Cowan and Richard Keller in 2003-2005. Here is the rather lengthy article about it, if you have the time to read it....LK

http://beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm
Ed Hamberg

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »
Ed;

Thank you for the link, quite interesting and a good read.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline helwood

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:20:10 PM »
Greetings,
It is good to see others taking interest in the PCP=precharged pneumatic air rifle, of Girardoni.  My friend Martin Orro and I ,Hank Elwood have made two of these interesting air rifles.  Finish date was Dec. 2012 it took Martin and I 4 years to make.  The historical opperating pressure was about 850psi.  They were able to fire 40 rounds from their precharged flask, but what we found was that if not shot under ideal conditions ie. pumped to their ideal opperating pressure you might not get all forty rounds off.  One of the uses for the ramrod with the rifle was to push the ball back to the breech that didn't make it out the barrel.  The soldiers carried 2 extra air flasks and 4 extra "speed loaders" making a total of 100 rounds.  Check out Dr. Beeman's site it has alot of information.
If you think about it the next succesful breech loading firearm didn't come out until the Spencer about 1860's.  Our air  flask is smaller in volume that the original ours holds about 650ml of air  I think the original was almost a liter.  But, even with 650ml you can fire all 20 rounds in the magazine as quickly as you can cycle the breech block.  Our rifle shoots a .457 round ball  our opperating pressure is 1000psi after 20 shots there was still 530psi the average FPS for all the shots was 529fps.  Martin is very good with computers and has made a web site at Orro.net there you can see more details on the 2 we made.  I took it to Bowling Green last year.  Thank you,  Hank

Online Longknife

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
Hank, That is a mighty impressive accomplishment! Here is a direct link to your site.

http://orro.net/
Ed Hamberg