Author Topic: Bunch of Old Parts  (Read 3377 times)

Offline James Wilson Everett

Bunch of Old Parts
« on: February 14, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »
Guys,

Most of us have a bunch of old and forgotten parts lying about the shop just gathering dust.  On a whim I gathered up some and knocked out a pistol.  The barrel was from an old used 13/16 X 0.40 rifle barrel, the old cheap Spanish lock from who knows where, and an odd chunk of cherry wood.  The brass from my "odd parts" drawer.  For almost zero cost here is a little pistol from the junk box.  Don't tell me, I already know the lock is low quality, but right now it sparks great.  I plan to give it to the raffle at Schoenbrunn Village Fair this October.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:11:12 AM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Bunch of Old Parts
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »
Nice effort and gun there James. I have, over the years made quite a few guns with old, used and unused stuff that was just taking up room in my junk drawer. In fact most of my personal guns are made that way. They shoot good and thats a good side of using up the stuff in the junk drawer.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:34:36 PM »
Nice clean work.  A good many guns were built of old parts and you've done a fine job there.
Andover, Vermont

Online P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »
I like it - gives me an idea. I also have many odd parts laying around and I will be sifting through them to see what I can come up with nothing specific just something that will go bang and hit the target! Thanks for the idea  ;)!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Sawatis

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Outstanding Jim...nice work
As they say one man's junk is another man's treasure...I'm sure however wins that in the raffle will treasure it!
John

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »
That's a good-looking pistol, James. It feels good to use up spare parts and make something useful.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
 I have one quite similarly built. It is a shortened CVA kentucky stock ( originally percussion), with a CVA mountain rifle flintlock in it. The barrel is from a .68 cal. English sea service pistol, made in Japan. And the trigger, and plate, triggerguard, and ramrod pipe, are all shop made. That lock is not much for longevity, but some of the modern lock manufacturers would do well to study the lock geometry, and frizzen material. Mine is very reliable, and not hard on flints, even though it uses small ones. 

Hungry Horse