Author Topic: The waiting is the hardest part  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Nordnecker

The waiting is the hardest part
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:21:21 PM »
Back around christmas, when I got serious about building my first muzzle loader, I thought it was just about $pending the money. Boy, was I wrong. I go to the mailbox everyday and meet with DISAPOINTMENT. I've had a nice stockblank for 6 or 7 years, fortunately. I bought the first barrel that I could get my hands on. My lock has been ordered for quite a while- TOW's website said expect 90 days for delivery. Sheez!

My advice to anyone thinking about getting started in this hobby is- Get Started. Round up your parts and when the time is right, you'll have 'em, even if you don't have the time or space or inclination to work on it right then.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: The waiting is the hardest part
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »
Sorry to hear you have been sucked in by TOW's backorder trap. Been there, done that. I never place an order with them, unless I call and make sure all the parts are in stock. I had to completely change a build, because they assured me that my parts were coming, but as it turned out the manufacturer had gone out of business, and nobody picked up the parts line I needed. It took me five months to get them to admit this was the case.

Hungry Horse

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:31:51 PM »
always amazes me,,
you can 90% percent of the time, order direct from the manufacturer,
i know companys need the business
if you call about barrels and locks
the manufacture will tell if its in stock or not
only flintlocks remain interesting..

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:58:57 PM »
 If Track doesn't have it I try Muzzleloaders Builders Supply. Or vise versa.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 12:12:39 AM »
Lets not forget the folks at Pecatonica River m/l supply.I have had great service from them.What is really mindblowing about this hobby,is the stuff we scrimped and sold coke bottles to buy for a rifle project back in 1970's,is 10x highr now.On some stuff,locks in particular,and barrels,too,the quality is generally better.hang in there,pilgrim,just learn from these experiences.I aint blessed with much patience,either.lol,Dave :P

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 12:43:29 AM »
Let's be kind as possible to our suppliers, please. Most of these are medium to small businesses, struggling to get by. Sometime they promise more than they can deliver.

Unfortunately, this adds an element of delay, in an already delayed kind of activity. Sometimes we have to wait for two years or more for custom parts to be made and delivered. I the worst case, I've planted a sugar maple, and I'm waiting for it to produce stock blanks.

I plan for at least two projects in the works, because delays inevitably occur. If I can't start on my main project, I have a fall-back project. This certainly is a luxury to have a number of projects going, but it is one work-around for the 'delivery delay' problem.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:13:33 AM »
I have always had 5 star service from Pecatonica. Dick Greensides is very accommodating to the gun builder. His prices are in line too.

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 02:36:23 AM »
David Keck    Knob Mountain

jamesthomas

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 03:27:06 AM »
I have always had 5 star service from Pecatonica. Dick Greensides is very accommodating to the gun builder. His prices are in line too.

Yep, just received 2 G.M. barrels from him on Thurs.  and of course there is always Mr. Tip Curtis.

LehighBrad

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 03:29:20 AM »
Another vote for Dave Keck at Knob Mountain Muzzleloading. Great service, great parts.  :)

Offline mountainman

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 04:46:29 AM »
Stonewall Creek Outfitters

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »
I find it remarkable that so many components are readily available for this endeavor of ours. Think about what it takes to produce the stuff we use and how much is really sold. Ours is a fairly small niche market and the fact that there are so many suppliers that keep a good inventory is something that I am thankful for. I love the TOW website where I can log on and keep a running order of things I need and then finally place the order when I get the list to a certain point. Of course that invariably results in remembering something that I forgot to include, so I have to immediately start assembling another list.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »
Hold on, you ordered something at Christmas that said expect in 90 days, and now 45 days later you're complaining about being disappointed??  All of the suppliers I've dealt with have been great about letting you know if they had a part in stock or not, you ordered a part that obviously would be awhile so give 'em time.  You're not allowed to be disappointed until 100+ days on that one.   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
Wait. Please allow me to clarify. I, too, am thankful for all of the resources and components that are available to us. I never intended this thread to be about bashing our suppliers- far from it. Stating that a part I wanted (that I sourced out elsewhere) would take 90 days to get, is an example that it takes time, sometimes a long time, just to get your hands on the stuff you need to start building.

Really, I sort of have to laugh at myself. I am so enthusiastic about getting my build going, I have been going to the mailbox for 2 or 3 weeks now just waiting to get a sketch of the TG and BP from R. Goehring. Maybe it'll be there today. I realize I just have to get in line and wait for my turn like everybody else. No it's not like Wil E. Coyote putting the letter in the box, tapping his foot a few times, and the Acme truck shows up with it.
P.S. And then it occurred to me what it must have been like back in the 1700's- Send a letter by ship to England, Hah, Maybe you get what you wanted next year, maybe you get something else. So you wanted a pit saw and they send you a keyhole saw, DISAPOINTED.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:14:33 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
I thought this thread might be about ordering from a builder and waiting the 5 years that some builders are backed up. Gunsmith John Taylor recently stopped adding to his list when he figured he had ONE year's work lined up. I've had to weigh whether I'm willing I'm going to live long enough... ???

I've got to say though that I'm delighted all these artisans are in such demand.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline little joe

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »
In  a hurry try the Rifle Shopp

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
I completely understand what Nordnecker is saying.  Like most guys new to the muzzleloading business he expects to place an order and receive the merchandize in a few days.  When I place an order with MSC Industrial Suppply before 4:00 in the afternoon I receive the order the next day on the UPS truck.  Pretty much the same with Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop.  But, the suppliers of muzzleloading parts do not have hundreds or thousands of employees to produce, process and ship things.  We don't have millions of dollars worth of inventory sitting on shelves to send out next day.  We do try to keep as much inventory on hand as possible, but inventory is money sitting on the shelf that can't be spent.  It comes down to do I keep more inventory on hand or do I pay the electricity bill or tax bill.  Personally, I started my business with $1,400 in hand.  I didn't go to a bank and borrow money for the business, never did and never will......just my way of doing business.  I'm sure most of the other suppliers operate the same way.  We're all small, often one man shops, doing the best we can to supply what in reality is a very small market.  We sometimes joke that if we were to win a million dollar lottery we'd just keep making muzzleloaders until all the money was gone.  That's really not that far from reality.  I know one dealer who did just that.
Bottom line is that the vast majority of new guys in the business soon realize that in general the muzzleloading  business operates at its own pace, and they adjust their expectations accordingly by ordering well ahead of time and having lots of patience.  Once you become a part of the muzzleloading fraternity you soon realize you're part of one of the best, most talented, knowledgeable and artistic group of guys and girls anywhere on this earth. Twenty years ago I left a very good paying federal job with all the benefits to make gun parts for you guys, and, while I'm probably poorer financially for that decision, I don't regret anything about doing so.  At that federal job I had "work friends".  Here I have a large group of true friends I can count on for anything.

Offline Joey R

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »
Well said Jim and thanks.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline little joe

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 10:23:59 PM »
Personaly I have good luck with Track of the Wolf, MLBsupply  Davis and Chambers, not that they have what I want at the time,as back orders do happen,but they tell you the expected delivery date. The Rifle Shopp is the slowest but they have some exclusive parts not avaible elsewhere. Took 3 yrs to get a lock for a wall  gun but it functions well and is what that was needed for the project.

Stuartg

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 06:12:06 AM »
You might also try giving Tip Curtis a call...he's got a nice inventory and one heck of a guy, might I add.

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
Think we all have to go through a time warp slow down when just starting  to build....
Think "Cottage industry..Cottage Industry"...Jim Chambers shared the truth..Thanks!
You have many choices now to purchase building supplies from.... For that I'm thankful..
How many times in your past have you received a hand written note of thanks when receiving a purchase out side of the muzzleloading community?
To take the edge off......and fill the void...Do a redo on one for your factory guns....
preplan..slow down and enjoy the ride.
I enjoy spending my hard earned "mad money" in the direction of those willing to stick there necks out in such a small niche market for a labor of love.
Build On.....Dan

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »
I completely understand what Nordnecker is saying.  Like most guys new to the muzzleloading business he expects to place an order and receive the merchandize in a few days.  When I place an order with MSC Industrial Suppply before 4:00 in the afternoon I receive the order the next day on the UPS truck.  Pretty much the same with Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop.  But, the suppliers of muzzleloading parts do not have hundreds or thousands of employees to produce, process and ship things.  We don't have millions of dollars worth of inventory sitting on shelves to send out next day.  We do try to keep as much inventory on hand as possible, but inventory is money sitting on the shelf that can't be spent.  It comes down to do I keep more inventory on hand or do I pay the electricity bill or tax bill.  Personally, I started my business with $1,400 in hand.  I didn't go to a bank and borrow money for the business, never did and never will......just my way of doing business.  I'm sure most of the other suppliers operate the same way.  We're all small, often one man shops, doing the best we can to supply what in reality is a very small market.  We sometimes joke that if we were to win a million dollar lottery we'd just keep making muzzleloaders until all the money was gone.  That's really not that far from reality.  I know one dealer who did just that.
Bottom line is that the vast majority of new guys in the business soon realize that in general the muzzleloading  business operates at its own pace, and they adjust their expectations accordingly by ordering well ahead of time and having lots of patience.  Once you become a part of the muzzleloading fraternity you soon realize you're part of one of the best, most talented, knowledgeable and artistic group of guys and girls anywhere on this earth. Twenty years ago I left a very good paying federal job with all the benefits to make gun parts for you guys, and, while I'm probably poorer financially for that decision, I don't regret anything about doing so.  At that federal job I had "work friends".  Here I have a large group of true friends I can count on for anything.
  The simple truth is that QUALITY is always worth waiting for. Thanks, Jim.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »
I didn't know Jim Chambers works in a cottage. Is he from the Shire?

He's got several hobbits helping him, he leaves the parts on his bench at night, and in the morning, there are the assembled locks.

I've started my zucchini plants, because Spring is on the way!
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »
Acer,
I was about to plant zucchini on the thatched roof of my cottage, but it snowed again.  Guess I'll just have to strap barrel staves to my feet and go sliding down the hills again. Ha!

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »
Do you make those barrel staves out of Rice barrels? Honestly, send me the barrel. I send back a nice piece of wood for a ski. You can skip making a barrel out of it first.
Best regards,
Dale