Author Topic: A Beast of a Bench (some additional photo detail added)  (Read 11503 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
A Beast of a Bench (some additional photo detail added)
« on: February 15, 2014, 10:42:15 PM »
Hi Folks,
I have been making progress with my shop.  Below is a bench I built as my main woodworking bench.  It is styled after French benches from the 17th century but updated of course.  It is made of Doug fir laminated and held together with mortices, tennons and oak pegs.  The leg vises are hard sugar maple. It probably weighs 300-350 lbs.  I became aware of this style bench from reading some books on old ways of working wood.  Chris Schwarz wrote an excellent book on work benches and featured this bench as his favorite.  I modified his design to accommodate my needs when building the bench.  It will be free-standing so I can work on all sides and move it to take advantage of the natural light in my shop.

dave
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:42:19 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

BrushCountryAg03

Re: A Beast of a Bench
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:44:18 PM »
Dave,

That is a very beautiful bench...I can tell that quite a lot of thought went into it.

Will

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:46:10 PM »
Oooooohhh, looks nice!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:49:27 PM »
Beautiful.  I want one!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 01:52:18 AM »
That is a very pretty bench.    I wish I had the time and money to make one like that.  I just built a Nicholson joiners bench out of pine construction lumber; not the best material to use, but it was relatively cheap.   I still haven't completely finished it, but I guess I should post a picture some time.

Offline AMartin

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:51:12 AM »
I'm coming over ... with my next rifle and a few chisels and break this thing in !!!

Very nice work bench ... I always love good craftsmanship !!

Allen

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 05:04:57 AM »
 that sir is oe of the nices benchs i have seen . well done

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:35:59 AM »
Dave,
Absolutely beautiful! When are you going to offer the plans for sale? ;D

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 05:55:19 AM »
Here's an old one of the same style except no shelf on the bottom.  Picked up at auction in Mechanicsburg last year.
Your bench is great!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:56:40 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »
Hi Schreckmeister,
That is exactly the bench design I used.  Even the parallel guide on the bottom of the vise jaw is pegged the way I did mine.  Really neat!  Thanks,

dave

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »
With a bench like that I could rule the world!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 07:15:29 PM »
That is a great bench you built Dave.  You will get many good years of service out of it.  I think a lot of guys would
love to have a bench like that including me.  I think I could build a nice bench like that, but I still couldn't build a nice longrifle so what good would it do me :D
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »
Hi Dave:  Time well spent!  That is a bench to be proud of - in my opinion, based on 42 yrs. of experience,
a decent work bench on which we do gun building cannot be too solid.  I like the concept of being able to completely circumvent your work with out having to move it.  Well done Dave!    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: A Beast of a Bench (some additional photo detail added)
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 12:11:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for your interest and comments,
For those who would like a little more detail of the construction, I provide some photos below.  James, you can get the basic plans in Chris Schwarz's excellent book "Workbenches: from design and theory to construction and use". 
I coated the bench with Watco's Danish oil to help the bench top resist oils and glue as well as making it easier to clean up sawdust.  This photo shows the top including the tops of the morticed leg tennons and the holes for vises, plane stops, and holdfasts.

This photo shows the drawbored oak pegs anchoring the morticed leg stretchers.  The pegs pull the joint up very tightly.

The next photo shows the sliding deadman sitting on the "v" track.  The top is inserted into a groove on the underside of the bench top.

This next photo shows the leg vise and the parallel guide inserted in the leg to keep the jaw parallel to the bench when pressing on work. A metal pin is inserted in one of the holes in the guide so that the bottom of the jaw stays parallel with the bench.

Finally, this photo shows a stock blank held by the leg vise and the sliding deadman at the perfect height and orientation for me to whack in a barrel channel. The metal pin inserted in the parallel guide provides the pivot for the jaws to put pressure on the work.

dave

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:20:23 AM »
That is an extremely handsome and well crafted bench.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 01:55:37 AM »
Dave, That is a master's bench for sure!  Wonderful job.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
The results of a well thought out plan done by a craftsman. Wow. Thanks for sharing. Bob

oldfox

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
Excellent workmanship!  Well done..

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
Lots of thinking went into that. Good job ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

woodburner

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 08:29:07 PM »
Dave what a beautiful bench, if I had one like that, I would be working
in our kitchen. ;) Tim

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
This is a great design. I'm finishing up one that is built from laminations of 1" maple plywood. Its cabinet grade stuff that was originally ordered to build nuclear powerplant control boards so I managed to get a few sheets at a good price. Like Schwartz says, "Its the biggest clamp in my shop."
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:11 AM »
As promised (or threatened, depending on your point of view),  here is a pic of the massive jointers bench I built and a couple of pics of the gun stocking bench I use.   All made from 2x construction lumber because it was that or no benches.   The jointers bench is 2'x8' and weighs at least 400lbs.  It is so heavy because I used almost exclusively 2x12s and 2x6s.    If it wasn't pushed up against the wall,  it would still move when I used the jointer plane.    The other bench is lag screwed to the wall studs at the back. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 06:45:45 AM »
Great looking bench Dave. Can you tell me what size screw was used for the vice?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 03:34:56 PM »
Hi,
Thanks again everyone.  Nice benches Mark.  I used construction lumber too.  My top is Doug fir, which was pretty clear stuff and a bit more expensive than the cheap spruce used for the legs.  If I could have purchased it locally, I would have used southern yellow pine per Schwarz's recommendation. I like the Nicholson-style bench with its massive apron.  Maybe my Roubo is heavier than I think but it does not move when I am flattening and squaring up boards with my jack plane. 

Smylee, I bought the vise screws from Lee Valley.  They are 1 1/8" in diameter but I do not know the thread count.  They require at least a 1 1/4" hole to work properly without binding. 

dave 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »
  Dave that is a Great bench. One question; How did you get the top so nice and even, a planer?

Tim C.