Author Topic: Cherry Type "G"?  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Cherry Type "G"?
« on: February 16, 2014, 01:39:41 AM »
I just have too much time on my hands. I was making a .75 cal American/English Style Fowler gun with a round tapered 48" barrel(whatever that means) and finished it. I can't sit still so I started another cherry smooth rifle. This one was a quick job. It started life as a cherry smoothbored round barrel 36" long.  I cut the stock off and fastened an extension on the fore stock. I then put in a .56 cal x 47" octagon to round barrel. I didn't try to hide the splice but it's not all that noticeable. Well, that job was done and I'm still antsy so I started a cherry stocked Type G kinda gun. It's a .56 cal x 47" octagon to round  barrel, too. I am putting one of Larry Zorn's trade locks on it. I'm making the rest of the stuff for it. It's gonna be a slim & light gun. It's just a tad under 6 lbs as it is now. I loves me some cherry wood...

Here's a couple pictures.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Cherry Type "G"?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:44:44 AM »
Anything is possible. I think I have seen more American restocked carolna guns than I have seen carolina guns in there original stocks. Most restocks I have seen have been in walnut though.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:02:55 AM »
I like cherry. This one is just to hold me over until I get that special type G from Iowa. :)
I'm thinking of cutting the pull to about 12" and let my Valentine shoot it. She ain't real big, about 5'2", and she's shooting a little NW trade gun that Curly made years ago. It's a 20 ga. and bumps her pretty good.

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:59:13 AM »
 I'm going to put a cherry stock with my G.M. .40 CAL. 38" Transitional when I get some bills paid off.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 03:30:38 AM »
That gun has a LOT of drop in the butt!!! 
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:58 AM »
Yes it does have a lot of drop. It started out going to be a club butt. :/

Old Bob

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 04:59:52 AM »
I've got 11 cherry planks 8 and 9 feet long seasoning in my Mom's carport. They still have at least 2 more years minimum before I can start choppin'. I'm seeing a fowler in the future if I live long enough. I could get at least 15 stocks from these boards based on an early inspection. May be less once I check the grain more closely. I look forward to working some cherry. I've only worked with some in making a bookcase.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:50:21 AM »
Yep,
I built three of them out of wild cherry from eastern PA.  Just need sharp chisels when stabbing in an inlet, because of the layer of soft grain in between each layer of hard.  I had no trouble with the stocks after they were finished and shooting the gonnes. 
Beautiful wood.  For plain stocks it is great.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

kaintuck

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 04:54:46 PM »
Cherry makes wonderful southern Mtn rifles too.....the color with the iron furniture just go together!
Nice work btw, I have had a smooth bore bug bite me yet.....but I'm sure it will.