Author Topic: Template PB  (Read 2243 times)

kaintuck

Template PB
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:48:45 PM »
Question is:
On the highly pierced PB, are the top side and bottom sides symmetrical/ mirror image? They don't seem to be on most I'm studying.
I want to make patterns, and I think most are stretched and/or changed to flow with the rifle.
On the simple and early PB, they are the same.....

Are they free handed? And SOMEwhere there is a picture of a bunch of templets in a frame on a persons wall from his grandad....anybody know that picture and could post that link for me???

Thank all!

Offline JCKelly

Re: Template PB
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »
Decades ago I made a number of templates, slides (your grampa remembers slides) of Kindig pages projected about full size & sketched.

Lemme know what maker or school interests you.

If you do not know who is Kindig, it will be OK if you don't bother answering.

I absolutely cannot use the new Photobucket & unsure about the other one which has been Improved.
Would scan & email.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:56:31 PM »
There is a self-published folio of patchboxes called "Patch Box Corners" by G.R. Watkins.  It contains 58 full size drawings of patchboxes, many of which have the engraving patterns drawn on them.

Most of the old Golden Age Arms catalogs have several pages of patchboxes included in the back.

Both of these are fairly rare but you might be able to find copies on abe.com or other book search site.

Track of the Wolf should have full sized pictures of any boxes that they offer for sale.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

galamb

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »
Take a look at the listing from MBS http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs2cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=1901.27426&product=Patchboxes they have a whack of PB designs, with the engraving pattern shown (all sketch type pics).

Might see what you are after there - you can scale them without too much trouble.