Author Topic: new frizzen spring  (Read 2302 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

new frizzen spring
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:46:59 AM »

One of the guys at last weeks shoot broke a frizzen spring. Here is the new one I made. Stock I used was old hay rake tine. I fullered about 5/8" from end, then forged flat taper and cut off from parent stock. I upset the thick section so it was all on one side and squared it up some. Then I rough forged finial shape. Next I cut, filed, ground waste away to form pin. I filed edges straight and parallel.  I filed pin to fit hole in lock plate and located screw hole. I draw filed to correct thickness and taper and drilled screw hole. Next I made a jig out of flat stock and rounded one edge to bend spring around. Cut to length and finished, tweaked bend. Filed bevels and final shaping. Heated to critical temp. (non magnetic) quenched in oil. Placed spring in a tin can of oil and burned off the oil to temper. Works good.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: new frizzen spring
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »
Great job Dave!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:46:39 PM »
And looks good too ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

oldfox

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
Nicely done!  "Where there's a will there's a way"  ;)