Author Topic: Recovery...sort of  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Firelock

Recovery...sort of
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:14:09 AM »
Well the patch is in place, and I'm working on getting the side tab of the patchbox inletted into the mortice. And it is a holy bugger to get in...still wondering how I'll screw it in place. I suppose I can drill the holes at an angle...or burn the screw holes into the wood...

Why didn't anybody tell me that building these things was hard? *LOL*

Offline Pete G.

Re: Recovery...sort of
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:08:40 AM »
The side of the box cavity where the hinge screws into should not be at a right angle. It should be cut facing slightly upward so the hinge screws can be installed. You might could glue a wedge in to correct this situation.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:17:36 AM »
Well the patch is in place, and I'm working on getting the side tab of the patchbox inletted into the mortice. And it is a holy bugger to get in...still wondering how I'll screw it in place. I suppose I can drill the holes at an angle...or burn the screw holes into the wood...

Why didn't anybody tell me that building these things was hard? *LOL*

Hey firelock,there is a good reason this wood is called"Hard Wood"Try sitting on a wood pew or bench for a couple hours,not to mention trying to make something with it.keep going,good luck.Dave

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:53:02 AM »
So far, good job on the "patch". If that's a Bucks County, either the buttstock is too small or the Pbox is too big....just an idle thought.

W/ a vertical wall to mount the hinge plate, a red hot. length of round steel is burned in...this may take a few "burns" to get deep enough. Have done this on all my BC LRs.  The round steel is undesized of what would be the "tap drill" dia.  because of the overburn.

Is that a ledge on the hinge side? The vertical wall for mounting the hinge plate goes straight down....no ledge. Perhaps it's the photo?

Again....good luck on your build.....Fred

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:12:20 AM »
I think the photos I've seen of this box on the original, had screws enter at an angle. Not ideal, but it works. If the angle is too low, you'll not be able to drive the screws without stripping the slots out.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:24:57 AM »
I have seen a picture of a Bucks Co patchbox attached with what appeared to be nails or tacks. I believe it was posted here on the ALR. I'll review and get back to you all.

OK search  "side opening patchboxes- attachment" and Mr Castor shows a photo of an original that is nailed in, and somewhere else Rich Dillion posted a couple photos that show pretty much the same thing. I do have part of a memory ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:40:44 AM by b bogart »

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »
    Well....something else to think about .....hang in there buddy the tuff part is almost over..    Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
I use screws to fasten the hinge plate...they go into "burned" holes. The cavity  surface for the hinge plate is perfectly vertical and I ground "blades" onto the short end of Allen wrenches to facilitate installing the screws.....these work nicely w/ the narrower side openers and the "blades" are at different angles .....Fred
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:06:34 PM by flehto »

Offline t.caster

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »
With the size of your cavity you shouldn't have any problem getting a very low angle on your screws and driver.
You must go through a lot of inletting black! ;D
Good start on your patina, eh?
Tom C.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »

This is the "drill" I used to make the pilot holes. Heated red hot and pushed thrru the mounting holes.

Here is the result

Offline rsells

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 10:49:05 AM »
I do like Pete and put an angle on the wall that the hinge is attached inside the box allowing me to use a screw drive to install the screws more easily.  I purchased some long shank drill bits that I use to drill pilot holes for the screws.  Makes the job a lot easier.
                                                                                      Roger

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 06:02:32 PM »
With the size of your cavity you shouldn't have any problem getting a very low angle on your screws and driver.
You must go through a lot of inletting black! ;D
Good start on your patina, eh?
Very good - I thought the same but I "bit my tongue" ::) -  probably will turn out great!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb