Author Topic: Upcoming Auction  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Upcoming Auction
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »
Looked over the session 2 rifles this morning, certainly doesn't compare in volume to the last auction. Really aren't that many "high end" rifles available either. There is however a substantial grouping of pistols to choose from. The Armstrong pistol is still rather expensive in lieu of the amount of restoration that's been done to it.
Buck
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:30:48 PM by Buck »

Bob D

Re: Upcoming Auction
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
There are a lot of high quality photos of really nice rifles to look to look at.   Many thanks to Tallbear for the information he passed on to us before :) the last Julia auction about how to save those photos.   

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »
The Julia catalog will be a nice reference going forward.  Great photography and fairly detailed
descriptions.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:07:43 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »
I know that the Kentucky pistols are much rarer than the rifles but I still have a good dose of sticker shock from what many went for in the Oct auction!  I think I'll stick with rifles and if a pistol just happens to trip me somewhere.........
Joel Hall

kbrubake

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
I hope you saw the two Nicholas Hawks from my Grandfather's collection!

Kris

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/2348-358/

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/2349-358/

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »
Yes they are both very nice pieces.
Buck
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:33:03 PM by Buck »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:26:25 AM »
I like the first gun better, both are outstanding and will probably bring more than I am willing to spend.  They almost make
me want to build one,....I said "almost", not quite.  I thought about how many barn guns I could build in that time.  On the
other hand, did anyone ever see a swivel barn gun?  No, I'm not going to do it.........Don

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 04:57:38 AM »
Well Don,  If you change your mind, I have a Nicolas Hawk barrel signed in a brass cartouche that will do the
trick.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:47:38 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 12:19:50 AM »
The Kentucky Rifle( and perhaps other firearms) as an "art form." I brought this subject forward after the last Julia auction because of the many Kentucky rifles that did not sell on the floor on the auction days. I have since developed a fine "talking" relationship with them finding out that there are many new "silent " buyers  amongst their interested clients. The subject however should not die here. It will be interesting to see the reponse at this auction of fine Kentuckies. Addditionally of interest is their 3 Volume catalog which I received. It is extrordinary and it is hard not to appreciate the subject of firearms as fine art from the quality pictures in print.
Certainlly a reference source that could well enhance anyones library! ( if you can get them)
Hurricane