Author Topic: M/G Locks  (Read 11623 times)

Offline Stoner creek

M/G Locks
« on: February 18, 2014, 04:14:20 PM »
I just wanted to let all of you know how pleased I have been with Larry Zornes's "Classic" locks. They are a nice aside from our "old faithful" locks. They work best mounted to a 7/8 or smaller (breech diamater) barrel. The lock is just a smidggen smaller than the Large Siler. The parts are clean and the springs are generally consistent. Good hot spark! I will be firing for the first time, Larry's "Colonial" lock as soon as the temps outside permit.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: M/G Locks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:29:11 PM »
I use em & like em. I heard Larry assembles all of Davis locks, too.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »
Count me on the +1 side also - very nice lock ;)!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »
    I used one and was very pleased with it. Like all locks it did need a little polishing on the internal parts but that's nothing new. I have a Chambers Deluxe now that has   a grind in it when you clock the hammer...you would think after the price we pay for these locks you shouldn't have to do anything to them. But there again it's kind of fun.  ;D.   Alan
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »
Allan,
Here is Chambers warranty, take advantage of it.
We guarantee any castings we sell to be free of defects. We will replace, free of charge, any broken spring that is returned to us. Any lock that we assemble is guaranteed for the life of the original purchaser. Your only cost is the postage to return the unsatisfactory part or lock to us for repair or replacement. The only parts we cannot guarantee are the ones which have been altered or abused.

If you think locks are expensive get your local machine shop to qive you a quote on making a few hundred of them, I think you will quickly see that locks sold today are a real bargain.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:13:50 PM »
    I used one and was very pleased with it. Like all locks it did need a little polishing on the internal parts but that's nothing new. I have a Chambers Deluxe now that has   a grind in it when you clock the hammer...you would think after the price we pay for these locks you shouldn't have to do anything to them. But there again it's kind of fun.  ;D.   Alan

The price we pay?  Come on!  In my view they're a bargain.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »
Try building a lock from scratch, and watch the weeks go by and the bills pile up. Then you'll appreciate the price.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 06:46:29 PM »
      I'm sure the lock company's are glad to hear they they can start charging, Dennis, Mark and Acer more for there locks....lol.  I really wasn't complaining, just saying if your going to do a job do it right. I've even got locks with the hammer not pressed completely on. Why stop, Finnish the job.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:57:06 PM »
I'm happy with the M&G brass-panned Classic lock I have. Good one. And I agree that today's locks are bargains--as are almost any part you might name. None of these folks are going to buy an NFL team with their profits. Think on that next time you buy a computer or put gas in your truck!
 :D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
Are you kidding? Chambers locks are the best and I certainly have no problem with the price or quality. I also think they do a fine job of completing the work. I can't imagine what it costs to make the casting molds the assembly and to have people answering the phone everyday. If you ever have an issue they fix it quick. Try that with the lock on a Krieghoff shotgun that you paid $20,000.0and waited two years to get. Bob

DFHicks

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
In the late 60's the Russ Hamm Maslin flintlock cost a bit more than $50.00 including the postage.  The factor for comparing dollar value then to now is 6 according to a web site I found.  That means the cost today of a similar lock would be $300.00. We probably benefit more than we realize from what Bud Siler developed.  Just my 2 cents worth.
D. F.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
Most production locks can be used right out of the box, with minor tweaking needed. In my opinion, ALL locks need some tuning to make them the best they can be. If you want a tuned and timed lock, you're going to have to pay extra. Or send it out to someone who does this, or learn how to do it yourself.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 07:52:46 PM »
Not wielding the paddle here or condemning anyone.  Just reminding folks that we depend on suppliers who are part of our community.  In fact they are essential to our community, and all are self employed non-millionaires who have stepped up to the plate to provide parts etc that we need.  This is not Ford or GE.  Real people.  Let's treat them with the respect we'd like to receive if in their shoes.  They are passionate about what they do, strive for and usually achieve excellence.  If anyone has a problem with a supplier, even a catalogue store, considr doing them the courtesy of working it out with them.  The suppliers who last are the ones who make good on their products, so go to them with confidence.

Along with the benefits we enjoy from the ALR comes some responsibility.  The internet is powerful.  To see your work criticized and discussed as though you are not in the room must be discouraging.  A friend of mine described gossip as something you'd say about somebody, but not to their face.  When done online it reaches a lot more people.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
I can't complain about the cost of locks today. I'd hate to see them go up in price but I'd still pay it.
 I just can't seem to find the lock I'm looking for when I'm looking & I'm too old to plan too far ahead so I order them one at a time. :/

Mike Norin

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »
Well said Rich.......

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 08:30:09 PM »
    I have a sneaking suspicious the last two locks I bought was bought by the supplier in a kit form and put together by them and not the manufacturer's. I'm not going to say who it was but, I was shown a lock and after examining it I said I'll take it. He placed it back in the show case and went in the back and brought out another one. My fault for not looking it over it need a little work done to it.    Al
Alan K. Merrill

mattdog

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »
Thank you Rich.

Matt

Offline Artificer

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »
Very much agree with Rich.

Back in the mid 80's, I thought about having M 1855 lock plates made that would fit original parts as well original lock plates..  (This was before Italian repro's were being made with only fair to low quality Metric Parts.)  A very good friend offered to do the CNC program for free.  Yet the BEST price we could get was $ 100.00 per lock plate WHEN we ordered 1,000 lock plates and paid up front.  There already was an NSSA member machining, hardening and selling such plates for $ 80.00 each and though he did not have them readily available at all times, it only took a couple to three months at most to get one.  So we dropped the idea, completely. 

Locks and parts today are extremely reasonable for what we pay.
Gus

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »
The cost of a lock has always been a sore spot here in the USA.
In Europe,not so much.Different attitudes altogether.Whatever
a lock costs now is due to a deteriorating currency.I get $150 for
a Hawken caplock and I have been told that is too much.
That $150 has the life span of a @$#% in a hurricane.
Someone posted about going to a machine shop and asking
what it would cost to get locks made.I don't think one could get
a price quote on such a peculiar mechanism even if the shop
foreman knew what it was.
At present I am not taking in any new orders for locks and am
not sure about later either so the price is at present a moot point.

Offline gwill

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 01:21:57 AM »
I'm fairly new to this game but I continue to be amazed at the variety of parts that are readily available at what seems like extremely reasonable prices. My hat is off to the folks who run these businesses as I can't imagine anybody is getting rich selling parts. Now if I can just focus on the current build and quit thinking about the one after the one after that ....

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 03:06:14 PM »
I thought complaining about prices on everything and bargaining were a natural result of living, at least for a Yankee. Its called being frugal and is in our DNA, along with ingenuity, they are considered assets! ;)
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline flehto

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
Built my first flintlock LR in 1977 and after returning a few "not so cheap " malfunctiuoning FLs, decided to buy Siler kits and assemble my own. This worked out fine and still have one of the LRs w/ a "homade" FL. When Chambers came on the scene, I was surprized at their quality and warranty....a far cry from previous FL makers. Used Chambers locks regularly, but one day decided to buy a "Siler" from another assembler....big mistake and cost quite a few hrs in repair time. Went back to Chambers FLs  and frankly, am leery of buying  from other suppliers.

All of Chambers FLs  haven't been perfect, and a couple have been sent back for either parts replacement or repairs, but the  service has been outstanding and is one reason I won't switch. I don't think the prices on Chambers FLs  is exorbitant judging from the quality and warranty......Fred
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:38:06 PM by flehto »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »
Interesting, the turn this thread has taken. After beginning with praise for an M&G lock, it has wandered away and begun to sound like criticism of locks sold by Davis. I'd suggest that if you have no experience with them you might consider beginning your posts something like "I've never used an M&G lock and can't comment on their quality..." Maybe it's just me and no bashing is intended. Hope so.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »
Kermit,
At no time have I bashed M&G locks or the Davis line. Larry Zornes is a friend and one of the men that makes and repairs moulds for him is Les Barber,another old friend. Les also does a lot of the assembly on the Davis line of locks. The M&G flintlocks I have examined seemed to be quite good and I also buy Hawken caplock hammers from R.E.Davis Co. I also use the external parts from three of the L&R line of flintlocks and have made the Davis Twigg locks and have made upgraded mechanisms  for all of them.
I also have used the very good externals from Jim Chambers late Ketland lock which is one of my favorites to work with.I will not belittle any locks made today in the USA. ALL of them have made sincere and mostly successful efforts to upgrade within their ability to do so.
History of the NMLRA from someone who actually knew and traveled with two of the founders can do no harm and I am not getting any younger.

Bob Roller

eddillon

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 10:34:40 PM »
Not wielding the paddle here or condemning anyone.  Just reminding folks that we depend on suppliers who are part of our community.  In fact they are essential to our community, and all are self employed non-millionaires who have stepped up to the plate to provide parts etc that we need.  This is not Ford or GE.  Real people.  Let's treat them with the respect we'd like to receive if in their shoes.  They are passionate about what they do, strive for and usually achieve excellence.  If anyone has a problem with a supplier, even a catalogue store, considr doing them the courtesy of working it out with them.  The suppliers who last are the ones who make good on their products, so go to them with confidence.

Along with the benefits we enjoy from the ALR comes some responsibility.  The internet is powerful.  To see your work criticized and discussed as though you are not in the room must be discouraging.  A friend of mine described gossip as something you'd say about somebody, but not to their face.  When done online it reaches a lot more people.

Well said.  Words should be carefully chosen before they put in a post.