Author Topic: Powder storage limits?  (Read 19836 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Powder storage limits?
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »
For any Canuck's stopping in on this thread our limits depend on "where" you store it.

If you store it in a dwelling, provided it's in a "suitable receptacle" defined as a substantial box or container, kept away from flammable material, with a tightly fitting lid secured by a lock, that can be easily removed in case of a fire, you can keep a total of 10 kg (22 lbs) of black or smokeless powder (combined).

If you construct a detached building or bin (made of a suitable fireproof material - ie. stone, brick, concrete etc) you are allowed to store up to 75 kg (165 lbs) of black or smokeless (combined)

(The Explosives Act, R.S.C., c. E-17, section 136)

This is all changing! For the better!

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 11:36:45 PM »
A few years ago (pre 9/11) I was heading to New Brunswick on a bear hunt so I called the RCMP to find out about laws and regulations concerning my flint smooth bore and powder going across the border.
Gun- no problem fill out the paperwork, Powder- up to 35 lbs. (for personal sporting use) I imagine that has changed but it was a great surprise at the time.
I only brought 2 cans. 
If your going across borders I recommend removing your butplate and writing your contact info. Without serial numbers, mfgs. stamps, caliber markings etc. the paperwork can lead to questions of proof of ownership.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
When my shop/house burned I had 40 lbs of powder in 1lb cans in a powder magazine in the garage.
When I got to the house I went to warn the firemen but a neighbor had told them I had a "mess of powder"
They tried to keep that part of the house cool and wet but it went anyhow. Nobody was hurt but it sure got everyone's attention.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

hammer

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »
Hi.  You might find this interesting reading.   A different perspective.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr991.htm

Here in the UK there are regulations on the storage of BP for licensed shooters.  The total quantity is limited and a special wooden container design must be used for storage.  The referenced doc shows a typical example.  There must be a space over the container of about 20/30% of the height of the partition.   The whole purpose is solely to ensure that in the event of fire there is time for occupants to safely exit the building.   Extensive trials were initially carried out at the Health and Safety Executive's laboratories and still continue.  Storage may be anywhere that is sensibly secure from unauthorised access.  Not to be near any exit and there is no expectation of removal of the box in the event of fire - the sole priority is to get occupants out of the property.
The police authorities require a padlock on the hasp to deter casual unauthorised access (children, visitors, malcontents, etc).

The possession of Pyrodex is unlicensed.

Not a handicap to us shooters, except, of course, the foreseen bitch about cost.  I made my own for very little.  A commercially made one is about $90 or so. 

DaveP (UK)

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 08:39:53 PM »
Whew! for a minute there I thought you were going to let the cat out of the bag and tell them  how much we are permitted. Could be unsettling for some...  ;D

hammer

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
No Dave, would never do that!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
Thanks, Hammer. That IS interesting.  :o
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 04:49:45 AM »
Why are folks who don't know anything about black powder allowed to make any rules about its use and storage? >:(
Stop Marxism in America

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2014, 05:17:10 AM »
Because  ;D   Just my Mom used to tell me !!

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2014, 05:23:06 AM »
Wow! I forgot. That one works every time. Ya can't argue with mom.
Stop Marxism in America

omark

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »
Why are folks who don't know anything about black powder allowed to make any rules about its use and storage? >:(
[/quote
cause thats the "american way" nowadays.    mark]

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »

About every time I go out I load at least one dry ball, on my Hawken...

You gotta work on that problem, man!

I figured out a way to help my issue, I leave the Phone in the car, Last time I never loaded one dry ball.

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2014, 03:41:53 PM »
Here in Utah Black Powder is not available, the state made the license to sell it so expensive nobody sells it any more.
I go to Wyoming every other week and buy a can.

About every time I go out I load at least one dry ball, on my Hawken, so all I have to do is unscrew a nipple and use the funnel I stole from the doctors office (The kind he sticks in your ear),,,and put a few grns down the hole, a cap and If you shoot it straight up you can catch the ball.

You're kidding....right?!

Well, I should have said, "If you could point it straight up you might catch the ball.
I remember one time this crazy guy I was with loaded a dry ball, I told him to funnel some powder down the touch hole, he shot, ball hits a rock and come right back and hit him, he caught it, that was about all he could hit.

Offline RonC

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2014, 12:29:30 AM »
I jump into this thread late.

I have my black powder in the original cans, all in a polymer ammo container, in my locked shed.
I hang a full powder horn and a small primer horn in the same shed.

Do you folks remove the powder from your horns during storage? It's about 2 weeks time of storage between trips to the shooting range.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron

Offline Kermit

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2014, 12:36:32 AM »
If it's that short a period and the storage environment is relatively dry and stable, I wouldn't worry. I DO empty horns that see infrequent use. No good reasons for my practice, just what I learned from a mentor about 40 years ago.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2014, 03:38:11 AM »
I would not store a horn in the shed, but for a totally different reason. I do not want bugs like carpet beetles and larvae eating holes in my horn!  I would empty the powder back into the correct container, and then bring the horn inside. It would also protect the strap. Just my 2 cents. Best wishes, Marc

Offline RonC

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2014, 06:28:15 AM »
Thank you for that advice, Kermit.

And Marcruger, I checked to see if we have carpet beetles in Colorado. We certainly do. The black carpet beetle usually causes low level infestations, but can multiply. I haven't seen any in my 29 years here, but it doesn't mean that they aren't around. So, I have to give this some thought.

Ron
Ron

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2014, 04:41:43 PM »
I never saw any beetles around here either, but when I hung a horn on a nail in the garage it didn't take long for some critter to start eating at it. Now I hang them in my shop over an open box of mothballs.

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2014, 02:54:08 AM »
Is there any need for concern storing powder in a shed that get well over 120 degrees in the summer? I currently have it stored in original containers, the containers in one of those vacuum storage bags to keep in dry.
Dave

Offline t.caster

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2014, 07:46:16 PM »
For you guys in Michigan, I just did some searching for storage laws in MI. About all I could find was:

EXPLOSIVES ACT OF 1970
Act 202 of 1970
29.53 Explosives; Storage
Sect. 13
All explosives, ......shall be stored in a locked building or out building which shall be rigidly fixed to it's base or foundation.

Nothing said about quantity or magazines or licensing, etc.
If you know of more information I would like to here from you.
Tom C.