Author Topic: Baker Rifle Questions  (Read 2566 times)

Stuart; Maker NZ.

Baker Rifle Questions
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:32:18 PM »
Hi, am a new member. I am building a British Infantry Rifle (Baker Rifle) from scratch and wonder if any knowledgeable folks could describe a proper sling for me please?
Any pics would be really helpful. I wonder why the museum rifles have no slings generally??

S.
(NZ)

Offline Artificer

Re: Baker Rifle Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »
Hi, am a new member. I am building a British Infantry Rifle (Baker Rifle) from scratch and wonder if any knowledgeable folks could describe a proper sling for me please?
Any pics would be really helpful. I wonder why the museum rifles have no slings generally??

S.
(NZ)

Museum Curators have informed me that when the slings rotted off from lack of care, people took them off guns.  As an example, there are not many really good M1907 slings for the M1903 rifles and they are only 100 years old vs 200 years for the Baker.

There are pictures of what is supposed to be an original Baker Sling online in this link, but more experienced folks believe it is a much later sling.  There is also a sling that looks correct or maybe was a special type of Baker Sling. 
http://2nd95thrifles.myfastforum.org/Rifle_Slings_Loose_or_tight__about1154.html

Here is a link to folks who reenact the 95th from your part of the world.  I would suggest contacting them for specifics of the sling:
http://www.1st95thrifles.com/
Gus

Offline Artificer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »
PS

I have been trying to get a close up look at the buckle on the sling pictured on the 1/95th forum and it just does not seem to show that fine of detail.  However, their sling appears to be an early or maybe the original style sling.

The manner of attaching the rear loop seems the same as the Brown Bess Musket of that time period and earlier periods.  IOW, 4 holes with a leather lace through it and tied.

I agree with some of the posters on the one link that normally in this time period, the buckle tongue should be Iron and not Brass, though it is possible they were made of brass. 

I’m not sure if the extra leather loop/slide on the front part of the sling is correct, but it may be.  Brown Bess slings did not normally have this extra loop/slide, but many of us who reenact with the Bess add a loop/slide like this to help ensure the buckle’s tongue does not come out of the holes in the sling leather. 
Gus

Stuart; Maker NZ.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »
Hi Gus,
thanks again for your help and interest. I think i have a sling, that is reasonably close, arranged now. It is not black but then my rifle is steel mounted not brass mounted so i can live with the difference.
She is almost ready to shoot so fizzing here at the mo.
Making great sparks which is very satisfying.
Thanks all.
S.