Author Topic: Local cold weather 'shoot'!!  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Local cold weather 'shoot'!!
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »
Had a local paper shoot yesterday together with a shotgun block shoot (away from we few ML shooters)!

7 ab zero in a.m and one shooter said he had 10 below on his frt porch. The scores suffered also.  One new shooter (poor soul)! I  Took a chance on the temp and used the ol cheap and reliable spit patch - made ice at the muzzle - made good use of the stainless steel range rod.  Caught myself twice with the mark on said rod with the ball sitting 3 in or so above the charge and 'thought' it was down.  The steel rod finished the job.  This could be serious if we are careless when loading.  I judge the average temp was around 15 or so above zero.  Next time gives bear oil. We made the rest of the shooters (so few) aware of it!

This coming Sunday a 25 or 28 shot woodswalk - Fun fun fun ;D 

God willing!

Candle Snuffer

Re: Local cold weather 'shoot'!!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:08:51 PM »
You are dedicated Roger.   ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:57:40 PM »
You are dedicated Roger.   ;D
Nah" Just bored outta my skull! ;D  And 'nearly too old to chase the neighbor lady! ::) :-X

billd

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »
Roger,   Where is the woods walk Sunday?

Bill

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:15:58 AM »
Roger,   Where is the woods walk Sunday?

Bill
Boyertown R & G West of Boyertown ab 2 Miles.  25 to 28 shots 25 out to 120 or so yds. Blanket match  with aclubhouse. Heated! Usually around 30 to 35 shooters show up!

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »
Roger. Next time try winterize windshield washer fluid.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:15:28 PM »
Couple guys use windshieldwasher fluid here, mixed with something, like neetsfoot oil to slow the evapouration.  I'm on my last bottle of LehighValley Lube - then will have to switch to Hoppe's #9 PLUS.  Only trouble with anything else than LHV, the point of impact changes.  Must watch that.  The LHV shoots true to the line of the barrel, where the others don't.  Has to do with barrel whip, timing, etc.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 06:01:15 PM »
Daryl,   Fort Chambers is selling Shenandoah Valley patch lube. They claim it is an exact duplication of LV.
I wrote them and asked if this was a duplication of Ox Yokes LHV or if it was a duplication of the LHV from Lesstum labs.
The reply was; Lesstum labs but he was told this formula has a slightly higher alchol content.

I still have 2 or 3 bottles of LHV but I'm thinking about ordering a bottle of SHV and see how it works.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »
About this time last year, I was asking if anyone had tried the Shenandoah lube as well as the Hornady cleaner/preservative for patch lube - guess no one has tried them yet - still awaiting results.  I am looking forward to hearing about the Hornady product as it is available here - perhaps I should just forget about the commercial lubes and use Hope's 9-Plus? It works and is easy to get here, but it does shoot to a different point of impact than LHV- bit right and low if I remember correctly, while spit and LHV shoot the same vertically.

billd

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 03:23:17 AM »
I'm using Shenandoah and it shoots the sama e as LHV in my guns, .32, .45, and my .62. But I don't think it protects as good. Last summer when the humidity was high I had a piece of a Getz barrel about 4" long. I sanded it down and squirted a little Shen. on one end and LHV on the other end.  The end with LHV dried and left a almost invisible film. The end with Shen. dried and left a whitish waxy film. It's hard to explain but it seemed to have a crystaline structure to it.  The center part that was uncovered rusted, probably from my finger prints.  After about two weeks I didn't pay anymore attention to it.

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 09:53:41 AM »
Thanks bill.