Author Topic: Frankenrifle rescue project question number two  (Read 3065 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Frankenrifle rescue project question number two
« on: February 23, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »
I have another post on this project about the barrel.   I bought it because almost all of the rescue work needed seems to be in the wood because of a poorly crafted stock.
The gun also has a lock that sparks like an arsonist looking for a building.  However, it has a bronze or brass lockplate

It's a little too big to be a pistol lock but a little too small to be a medium rifle lock.  It strikes me as a little too small for this meaty gun but the whole gun seems like it was kluged more than crafted back in the sixties or seventies when a lot of folks were building without a whole lot of knowledge or experience

The only identifying marks on the inside of the plate are a stamp that looks like a circle with a vertical line through it bisecting a jagged line positioned just above the mainspring.  Maybe a "K" or an "H"?

It has a serial number P 264 B under the mainspring.

Wish I knew how to post a picture, but I can e-mail them.

Thanks for your help and,
Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

Greg Geiger
The Capgun Kid

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Frankenrifle rescue project question number two
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
Dimensions on the lock?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
Greg,

Welcome to ALR.  Here is a link to the tutorial on posting pictures.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »
Thanks, Rich and Ky. 

The lock plate dimensions are about 5" long by 3/4" wide at the pan and what appears to be about a ten degree drop from the rear of the cockpiece to the sharply pointed tail of the plate. 

It has a groove behind the cockpiece just in front of the sear that looks like it would have been put there with a thin round file were it a hand made plate. The pan is multi faceted rather than curved.  All parts other than the plate are steel.  It shows no wear and works smoothly, which makes me doubt that it is a cheap lock.  It does have a tumbler.

If I can get photos into the website I will post them here

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:13:32 PM »
Depending on the barrel thickness, that lock is small but not tiny.  It could work for some styles of rifles, but probably not an early one.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:58:19 AM »
It does have a tumbler.

I'm thinking you probably meant to say it has a bridle.  Here's a handy reference.... http://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89:parts-diagram&catid=41:information&Itemid=68

It's a little hard to see in the diagram, but the internal bridle supports one end of the tumbler axle.  The other end of the tumbler axle is supported by the lockplate.

-Ron
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:03:55 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie