Author Topic: How Was Princeton?  (Read 7730 times)

Offline Majorjoel

How Was Princeton?
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:34:39 PM »
Been pretty quiet on the antique front as of late. With the worst winter here in 30 years, I have been chomping at the bit to get away to a good gun show.  I could not quit thinking about Curt Johnson's great shows in Princeton and over the weekend I was daydreaming about it!  Anyone who made it have any good stories to tell.        Majorjoel.....up to my neck in the frozen north!
Joel Hall

Mike Norin

Re: How Was Princeton?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
It was a good show, always plenty of interesting rifles and accouterments . Everybody seemed to be in good spirits in spite of the weather.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »
Yes, it was a good show. There were some great old guns there, some new faces as well as some old faces we hadn't seen in a while. I was going to take some pic's but forgot the camera.
Buck

Offline Howard

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:32:18 AM »
I didn't see much money exchange hands but everyone had plenty of food to eat & nibble on. Curt's Bride always makes the chili & always very good. Lots of neat toys to see. Cold & windy but the roads were clear there.

R.Baitinger

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:23:16 AM »

I had a great time catching up with my old friends and my nephew drove down from Wild Rose, Wis., this being his first long rifle

show. We could not find any J.S. Burson  rifles but there sure were a lot of very nice tables to look at. It sure is a well laid out show

and a lot of friendly people. The only problem I still see is the lack of young people coming to the show. We still need to introduce

our youth to this past time and traditions. The good roads and lack of ice in the parking lot was also very good. I am looking forward

to the August show all ready.

Bob Baitinger

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 04:12:35 PM »
Thank you fella's for chiming in about Curt's Feb show! I hope to make it this August as well. Also plan to get out of the snowbank this coming Sunday and hit the Lapeer show just a couple of hundred miles south in lower Michigan. I may have to tether up the dog sled! ;D
Joel Hall

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »
Celeste and I drove up from Baton Rouge. The roads were good and we had no travel complaints outside of the 12 hour drive. This show is worth the drive as you get to see a lot of good rifles. Buck had a number of good rifles on display. I got to handel and photo a very nice Charley Bean rifle that Jerry Noble had on his table. Louie Parker had some premo rifles on his table. There was an early walnut stocked rifle that is thought to be made in the Moravian shop by Andreas Albrecht. I had my new George Feder there and what i now think is an old German Fiddle. I had a great time and i always enjoy seeing everyone at the show. We spent Saturday night with Jim & Linda Siclau and had a wonderful visit. To those that have never been to the Princeton show you are missing out on a real gem.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 11:51:17 PM »
Is that early walnut stocked rifle the reputed twin to RCA 19?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Buck

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 02:22:09 AM »
Jim,
Thanks for the kind words, do not exclude yourself from the great rifles category either. I am hoping you plan to work on that Feder and am anxious to see the results (one of my favorite makers). Wendel Lewis had some spectacular Angstadt rifles, and Louie Parkers rifles are always a highlight as is Curt's rifles. I didn't see the early rifle you spoke of, who had that?
Buck

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »
Yep Buck I was wondering the same thing? What table was that on Jim?
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Loudy

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 08:13:16 AM »
It was another excellent show.  Several highlights for me.  Louie Parker schooled me on fine Dickert made longrifles.  Buck schooled me on Angstadt made guns.  I have a lot to learn.  I got to hold a very nice Vincent halfstock Ohio-made rifle.  I got to shoulder a few great Southern mountain guns.  I saw more original Hawken plains rifles in one room than most people will see in a lifetime.  I saw an attic condition Union County, PA rifle by gunsmith Jos. Shafer that was signed & dated 1829.  I got to catch-up with Jeff Jeager while musing over a nice original Indiana-made longrifle.  There were several fantastic old powderhorns, tomahawks, and knives.  Saw a huge collection of cool old blackpowder testers used back in the day to gauge the explosive strength of the powder.  There were also several of the most talented contemporary gun & accoutrements makers in the country a this show.  I had a good visit with Tim Albert and got to see some of his always incredible leather & textile work.  Marvin Kemper displayed a couple of his extremely fine longrifles.  Bob Browner from St. Louis had a few of his excellent bench-copy Hawken rifles on his table.  I picked up another very nice hand woven sash from Jim Siclau (actually made by his wife) that I plan to use as a strap on a hunting pouch project I'm finishing up.  I could go on and on.  It was a great show.  There was  something at this show to "trip the trigger" of any fan of the American longrifle.  Thank you Curt, Craig, and Jerry for another great show.  I agree with Bob B. that it would good to see more young folks at these shows.   I'm looking forward to being at the next show in August... with at least one or two of my kids. 

Loudy   

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 02:19:25 PM »
It was the couple that was accross the isle from Marvin Kemper. They are a very nice couple but i can not recall their names.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
Even I was there! :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Buck

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »
Jim,
I think it was Larry Stafford.
Buck 

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »
Dang! I missed out on meeting Mike Brooks!   :P
Joel Hall

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »
Thanks for all of the kind words about our show, everyone.  I thought it was a good one, also.  I do regret that Al Rehder and Dale Grasdalen, were unable to make it down from Minnesota. They got about 30 miles south of Minneapolis, and the brutal snowstorm turned them back. As always, we had some great guns and related items, to look at. I did see several rifles change hands, but it was done pretty quietly.  I did not find anything to buy, but that's okay.  My bride seemed to think that I had "bagged my limit" for awhile. I bought two Illinois guns, about a week before the show.

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »
Curt, is there a web site for the show?  I couldn't find anything in the show listings. Thanks, Jack

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »
No, no website. It was posted here on ALR, but has been taken down after the show was over. The next one will be August 1 & 2, 2014.

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 02:58:33 AM »
Where is the show located? Thanks, Jack

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 03:25:53 AM »
The show is in Princeton Illinois. I've gone to it since 1987 or 88. Do to work I've missed the last two or three.  Lots of good people there. It's a collectors show mostly antiques.
JIM

Offline Buck

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
Joel and Jim,
We missed you guys, you need to get back. It was a real good show, as Curt we had a couple of guys that we missed but it was a good show.
Buck