Author Topic: Question about new rifle. Need help.  (Read 4805 times)

Wiggleplum

Question about new rifle. Need help.
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:18:27 AM »
Hello,

I recently bought my first rifle, and Jukar .45 which I am beginning to regret. The seller did not inform me what I was getting. Seems to be in all around poor condition, and assembled poorly. I suppose my main question is whether or not this can even be fixed:

photo storage

I would sell it if I was able to find a place to do so. Any suggestions on that front?

Thanks

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Question about new rifle. Need help.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:54:22 AM »
I guess we would have to see more.    I would want to know if the required pull and drop allowed you to move the butt piece forward and down a bit to close up the gaps under it.   Next,  can the toe be taken down a bit to get rid of the chip outs?   You will just have to mate a new piece of wood to the toe  as close as you can match the grain and then camouflage the repair in the finishing.    Whether these things can be done depends on the physical requirements of the shooter and the style of the gun.   I don't necessarifly see anything there I couldn't fix.   I frequently crack and chip toes and have to repair them.    Of course,  I always have the piece of broken wood to glue back in.   

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:16:32 AM »
You might watch "black powder gun parts on ebay" daily.  On a given day stocks like you need show up there for sale.  However, I have been checking it daily for three years now looking for a specific breech plug like a couple I lost the bid on and none have been posted since the ones I lost the bid.  However, several of the stocks you need have been posted in the past.
                                                                            Roger Sells

Offline Captchee

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
 I agree with mark , i dont see anything that cant be fixed
  but would need to see alittle more  to know for sure.

as to the stock .  which Jukar stock is it .  they made 2 diffrent ones .
a) with i band that covered the joint in the 2 piece stock and b) which  had aplate like  is commonly seen on later CVA and traditions  stocks .

also they had diffrent barrel widths even in 45 .
 i have  a few of those stocks out in my scrap pile . i also  have some original un finished stocks for  the larger barrel ed 45. so i may have something  that will work for you OR that you can use to replace a section of your stock ..

If you want to sell it , PM me and we can talk it over .
But before you consider that , dont forget your on a builders forum  with some of the best builders in this country .  As such have you considered  restocking it ?
 here is a  45 cal Jukar i just finished up . they do  come out a whole lot nicer.
 on this one the owner had me replace the lock and triggers  but you wouldnt have to do that  unless you needed or wanted to .

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:51:29 PM by Captchee »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
 I think you need to ask yourself how much time, and effort, do I want to put into a gun that is going to look, and shoot, marginally at best. I'd go with the rawhide, and tacks, and practice my aging wood, and metal, on this puppy.

Hungry Horse

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »
Captchee...nice resurrection!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 02:54:21 AM »
  Im sorry my post was so short this morning but I had to get one the road .
 So ,  if  I may .
 First  let me address a few things . As always I know some of you will disagree with  some of what im going to say .
 Let me start by saying that a very large number of these rifles , be they Jukar , CVA or Maruku were very  good shooters .. By very good I mean accuracy wise . Now surely some were not  but  I submit that  standing on a line with a full custom gun and looking down your nose at someone with an old Jukar or CVA  may just get you hat  handed to  you   in very quick order .

Now the problems . There is no doubt they were cheaply made  and because of that sometimes troublesome . IE poor performing locks , bad triggers  and such .  The other thing that can cause issues is the barrel . How many folks actually know what twist those barrels are ???
 Well let me tell you . They can range from 1-70 all the way down to 1-2 . that’s what I said 1-2 . If anyone doubts that . I would be glad to show a photo of the one I have in my shop . In fact it maybe less then 1 in 2 .  On average though they seem to run closer to 1-60 to 1-70
 When it comes to locks . There were also 2 types  so one must also make sure when looking for a replacement stock that the stock they are considering  was inlet for the same lock they have .
IMO it is best to replace the lock anyway as they were all junk . They however were usable  but its most times best to  only re use the lock if it’s a caplock  but even then , replace the main spring at the very least .

Also  because these were kits . People most often just  stuck the parts into the gun and went shooting .  Frankly that’s what the instructions  lead them to do .  That’s why  they   most times look the way they do .
As such I have yet to see one that could not have lot of wood removed . By a lot , I mean ¼ or more off of everything . So with that in mind , this persons piece ,  most likely could do  for the same work .
 IE the toe plates a lot of times stood proud  and it appears that the butt plate had never been trimmed down  at the toe .  Also the butt plate may never have been inlet all the way forward like  it should have been  .  If it were me , I would re inlet the butt plate . Then drop the toe plate  . Doing so isn’t going to effect the lines any as the triggers are way to low . I have not seen one where the triggers and guard could not be  inlet a minimum of  ¼ of an inch deeper into the stock  and still leave 3/16 of  wall thickness to the bally in the RR area . If it wasn’t for the  overly large RR hole , you could even go more .
 The fore stock also can be then brought down . Literally you can easily remove 1/3 of the wood  on the forestock .
  So in the end . A person can take the factory stock down  a lot . Not as much as in the  restock I posted but close .
 Here is a photo  of a customers  jukar  that  I was ask to refinish to give you all some idea . All the factory parts were used . I replaced   no parts on this  gun .
OH and at 75 yards from the bench , this little rifle held  just over a 1 inch group .

here is what the gun looked like when it came to me

now here is  what i took off
 forearm joiner plate

Nose cap

which results in this much wood removel from the Forearm

re shape the comb , reduce the belly  trimming  it down all the way back to the toe  and this is what you get

now thats with a factory stock .  yes ist still thicker/ fatter then a  new stock  which is due again to the factory RR hole .

Now  for those who ask WHY . why would anyone spend so much time .
 to that i say . whats around 10 hours worth of work ?
 if the gun shoots well , why not make it look better .
 if you already have the gun , and are thinking of building a gun , but dont have the money , why not use what you have to learn  alittle bit , it costs nothing and if you mess it up  wouldnt you rather mess up one of these vs a 500.00 parts asymbly ?

so Wiggleplum . if you intersted in  fixing what you have , i have a tutorial link   which i did to lead folks through reshaping and trimming down what they already have .

past that , i  very well may have stock parts you  may want .  i would need to see what lock you have and side plate  to know . If i do , you pay the shipping and they are yours.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 02:58:48 AM »
Captchee...nice resurrection!

thank you .  i know some folks down talk the old CVA and Jukar type guns but , for me , i enjoy working on them .
 i find it a real break from the rigures  of worring  about  every little detail  when im building a custom  piece .

is nice to just set back and let the juices  flow  with very little worry  ;)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 03:07:03 AM »
Captchee
   Great photos and explanation for how you turned the Jukar into a far superior looking (and feeling I imagine) rifle.  My first gun was a Traditions pistol - I did much the same thing, except I went too far trying to slim it down and ran right into the ramrod - oops!  My biggest issue lies with the sideplate aesthetics on those guns, but some of them simply have washers which allows you to make a new one.  I don't think it's a waste of time, I think it's time well spent, especially if you can bring someone new into the black powder field for less than the cost of parts for a custom gun. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Captchee

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 03:38:43 AM »
Evon .
to answer you , the complete restock came in 11 oz lighter then the factor  piece and that was  using Big leaf maple which is much harder and heavier then the original wood  , adding a new lock trigger, sliding patch box ..... . it also ballanced 2 inchs back of  where the original one ballanced .
 re shaping the stock also brings the ballance back some and it also lightens the gun considerably

Offline cmac

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 04:06:44 AM »
I have an unfinished stock for a CVA just like that in good shape if interested PM me. Just cost you the shipping and packaging